Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 12:01 PM

Default First Rosh Hashanah

So, I'm going to Rosh Hashanah dinner with my new girlfriend. It's not gonna be a big group, just her parents, sister, and one set of grandparents so not too intimidating. Also they are "progressive" so apparently not super religious.

I was born Protestant but consider myself agnostic. I definately respect most religions and take interest in them so theres not a problem there at all.

Basically I just want to know if there is anything cool I could do to "impress" them that I know a little bit about Judaism and respect it, without seeming like a total showoff/kiss up. Also is there anything I shouldn't do?

People have told me it would be good to say "Shana Tova Umetukah", or bring a few pomegranates. Good idea or no?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:03 PM

Default Re: First Rosh Hashanah

[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm going to Rosh Hashanah dinner with my new girlfriend. It's not gonna be a big group, just her parents, sister, and one set of grandparents so not too intimidating. Also they are "progressive" so apparently not super religious.

I was born Protestant but consider myself agnostic. I definately respect most religions and take interest in them so theres not a problem there at all.

Basically I just want to know if there is anything cool I could do to "impress" them that I know a little bit about Judaism and respect it, without seeming like a total showoff/kiss up. Also is there anything I shouldn't do?

People have told me it would be good to say "Shana Tova Umetukah", or bring a few pomegranates. Good idea or no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a good idea to do a little research to show that you care enough to try. Just dont go overboard and look like an ass kisser.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 PM

I've been to a couple of these things. Don't try to look cool. Just ask questions about the tradition and history and be genuine.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:09 PM

show up looking like this

Old 09-21-2006, 12:11 PM

I think the best thing you can do is ask questions at dinner. Maybe read up on a few of the customs (apples and honey, shofar, blah blah) and ask them about them and why they do it. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to fill you in. Jews like talking about the holidays and the reasons behind the customs....especially a high holy day like rosh hashana.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:12 PM

Circumcision?

Seriously, though: just be nice, dip an apple slice in honey when it's passed to you, and be yourself. You are coming as a guest, and unless your GF lied to her parents they are not expecting you to be Jewish, so just be polite and be a good listener.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:13 PM

Ask them why they wear those beanies on their heads.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:19 PM

Just bring your appetite. There will be enough food to feed 30. I live in a predominately Jewish neighborhood (the other 7 guys in my weekly poker game are all Jewish) and I have been invited to a few Rosh Hashanahs. Just be polite and ask questions in a respectful manner and you are good to go. As long as they know you aren't Jewish, I highly doubt they expect you to know much about the customs.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask them why they wear those beanies on their heads.

[/ QUOTE ]
We're trying to be more like the pope.
-Sam
Old 09-21-2006, 12:36 PM

I'm actually doing the same thing as OP myself, but replace "sister" with aunts, uncles, and cousins. I plan on just being me and I'll ask questions if need be. It turns out she and her parents aren't huge fans of religion any more, but I guess the grandparents are. Hopefully they won't think I'm Jewish, despite my overwhelmingly Jewish name (on the order of Max Weinberg).