Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Default Re: What do my opponents know about me?

[ QUOTE ]
well i thought it was straightforward funny...not insightful really...

i mean, you just randomly decide to play 86s w/ no context on the button at 100/200?? lol?

it's a great hand there in some spots. most of the time given the texture and aggression in the game though, you wont get the chance to play it. so if you're randomly thinking of playing it all the itme, you'll often be paying 2-3 bets to see flops w/ a crappy hand in that spot.

in other spots though (mad limpers or your'e first in and open on the button) it's profitable and should be played anyways.

EDIT: also, 1 hand (4 combos of it) "boosting" vpip so noticeably??

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have just stuck with your first reply. Someone might mistakenly think you knew something.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:39 PM

If you are afraid of people "taking shots at you" postflop, then I am not sure why you think the solution is to adjust your preflop play.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:20 AM

barron you completely missed op's point. it wasn't funny either
Old 09-21-2006, 07:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are afraid of people "taking shots at you" postflop, then I am not sure why you think the solution is to adjust your preflop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the first or only thing I do, just something trivial I thought I'd mention. People's VPIP seems to correspond to how often they look people up, so looking a bit loose seems preferable to looking like a rock preflop, at least to avoid being [censored] with too much.

There are 2 other PT stats I do consciously work to increase, but was hoping to see more responses before really going into it.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:26 AM

I think its safe to assume that the higher limits you play, the more your opponents will have the capacity to do extensive data mining on your past playing habits and implement/adjust their strategies accordingly.

I think at lower limits you are less likely to run across as many players who even so much as keep notes or personal stats...let alone do any type of data mining whatsoever.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its safe to assume that the higher limits you play, the more your opponents will have the capacity to do extensive data mining on your past playing habits and implement/adjust their strategies accordingly.

I think at lower limits you are less likely to run across as many players who even so much as keep notes or personal stats...let alone do any type of data mining whatsoever.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is totally right. At this limit, you're going to be encounter people who have better reads than just your PT stats and adding a few hands on the button to boost your numbers isn't going to keep you from getting run over.
You probably also need to adjust your postflop game to prevent this.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, i'm not just talking about adding hands to boost vpip, it could be defending more in the bb to boost your blind defense numbers, check-raising more to make people think twice about constantly following through on the turn with initiative, etc. basically, focusing on stats that opponents are using most often, as adding marginal -EV hands has already been discussed as ways of varying preflop play for deception and to boost shania.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is all well and good, but how you play your hands postflop vs. your opponents and going through yoru own PT to see how they play hands is more valuable than what you're talking about here....and "adding marginal/-ev hands to vary pf play" the way we discuss it (or at least the way i think about it) does not boost yoru VPIP...it just serves as a reminder to those who saw it that you're capable of it and widens your hand range as they see it in some spots. it's like a pink elephant to your opponents. one occurance is enough for them to remember.

further, you should be defending your bb a great deal anyways and c'ring flops as part of a balanced strategy but im sure you knowt hat already.

sorry to have taken your serious post so out of context. i thought it was humorous the way i read it and apparantly was wrong.

Barron
Old 09-21-2006, 03:31 PM

Somehow, it all sounds really weird to me that the way you approach creating a positive image is to try to manipulate you PT stats as it appears to your opponents.

The fact is, if you're playing a proper game (making moves occasionally, slowplaying occasionally, raising to knock out players in the right spot, making very thin value bets/raises, calling down with weak hands when you think appropriate), you will automatically create the right image of being an unpredictible aggressive intimidating player.

In other words, learn to play winning poker at that level and the image will take care of itself. If you have the wrong image at the table, it's probably cause you're not playing a very good game.

To go back to your example of playing 86s: there will be situations that make that hand playable. Play it when these situations arise, not so's you can increase your VPIP.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow, it all sounds really weird to me that the way you approach creating a positive image is to try to manipulate you PT stats as it appears to your opponents.

The fact is, if you're playing a proper game (making moves occasionally, slowplaying occasionally, raising to knock out players in the right spot, making very thin value bets/raises, calling down with weak hands when you think appropriate), you will automatically create the right image of being an unpredictible aggressive intimidating player.

In other words, learn to play winning poker at that level and the image will take care of itself. If you have the wrong image at the table, it's probably cause you're not playing a very good game.

To go back to your example of playing 86s: there will be situations that make that hand playable. Play it when these situations arise, not so's you can increase your VPIP.

[/ QUOTE ]

only 2 words can describe this post:

[ QUOTE ]
DING DING

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, i was trying to say this, but failed. ty for the save.

Barron
Old 09-22-2006, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People's VPIP seems to correspond to how often they look people up

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually found that if you were to compare two different 17/12/2.0 players that you may get different results when you look at their respective WTSD numbers. I've found the range from 35-45%. Huge.

That being said a 30 vpip player usually does see the river more often than the 20 (like you said). Just thought I'd chime in with my two pence in case you're not already looking at this.