Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 06:58 AM

Default What do my opponents know about me?

I was having a discussion with a friend about the 100/200 on Party, how aggressive people get taking shots at tight players, etc. About those players that key off of those running bad or who generally fold too much.

I assumed I knew why they were doing this, based on certain PT stats I had and was using. It dawned on me that adjusting my play around juicing my stats a bit to avoid being labeled as one who could be picked on was assuming way too much. Like adding a marginal hand, say 86s on the button, just to boost my VPIP.

So I'm curious what those of you playing in the top games online are using with poker ace's HUD and what stats you use most often. I know the two are different as my layout has stats I know I should take into account but rarely do.

BTW, I would've added a poll but there are just too many options in PA HUD. Also, if you use the default stats, feel free to chime in with that, too.

What I'm currently using: # of hands, VPIP, PFR, attempted to steal %, flop, turn, river, and overall aggression, check raise %, fold sb & bb to steal.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Re: What do my opponents know about me?

[ QUOTE ]
I was having a discussion with a friend about the 100/200 on Party

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
adjusting my play

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
adding a marginal hand, say 86s on the button, just to boost my VPIP

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron
Old 09-20-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
adjusting my play

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be saying something really funny or insightful, but it's over my head. Please elaborate...?

Or is it one of those "if you have to ask, you'll never understand"?
Old 09-20-2006, 03:31 PM

i think he's saying just go ahead and start playing 86s on the button. that the answer is in the question.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:39 PM

Also, cliff notes.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
adjusting my play

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be saying something really funny or insightful, but it's over my head. Please elaborate...?

Or is it one of those "if you have to ask, you'll never understand"?

[/ QUOTE ]

well i thought it was straightforward funny...not insightful really...

i mean, you just randomly decide to play 86s w/ no context on the button at 100/200?? lol?

it's a great hand there in some spots. most of the time given the texture and aggression in the game though, you wont get the chance to play it. so if you're randomly thinking of playing it all the itme, you'll often be paying 2-3 bets to see flops w/ a crappy hand in that spot.

in other spots though (mad limpers or your'e first in and open on the button) it's profitable and should be played anyways.

EDIT: also, 1 hand (4 combos of it) "boosting" vpip so noticeably??

Barron
Old 09-20-2006, 05:37 PM

"also, 1 hand (4 combos of it) "boosting" vpip so noticeably??"

i think youre being too specific. i think his general question is: is it worth it in that game where everyone has hud and pt and so on to loosen up in select spots whenever you can just for the sake of lifting your vpip?

what's your answer to that question?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"also, 1 hand (4 combos of it) "boosting" vpip so noticeably??"

i think youre being too specific. i think his general question is: is it worth it in that game where everyone has hud and pt and so on to loosen up in select spots whenever you can just for the sake of lifting your vpip?

what's your answer to that question?

[/ QUOTE ]

i do tend to take things too literal. they're funnier that way.

to answer that specific question, you just have to phrase it right and do your best to come up w/ the answer.

id look at it like any old problem of expectation. you'll have to make up more than the cost of playing a hand in the short run that may not be profitable in that spot. there are laggier players and doing this SHd is good and necessary but not in a full ring game.

DS has stated this in one of his books IIRC: in limit holdem it is better to be viewed as tight and earn folds than loose and earn calls at higher limits. if you are good, you can adjust to when people are taking too many shots at you and call down appropriately.

further, as you said, or maybe it was phish (still one of my favorite 2p2 names btw), if you have to ask this question im not quite sure that 1/2 is the place to be, although ive been wrong before and will certainly be wrong again... i dont think that again is now though

Barron
Old 09-20-2006, 05:52 PM

sounds good. fwiw i agree.

i dont think it could hurt to loosen up here and there if too tight an image is seeming problematic, but if it's problematic that might mean the game is too tough...
Old 09-20-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean, you just randomly decide to play 86s w/ no context on the button at 100/200?? lol?

[/ QUOTE ]

you can assume i'm retarded if you'd like, but i'm sure many would benefit from this type of discussion. fwiw, i'm ~17/12 in these games, having played 20 or 30k hands in the 50/100 and 100/200 on party.

[ QUOTE ]
it's a great hand there in some spots. most of the time given the texture and aggression in the game though, you wont get the chance to play it. so if you're randomly thinking of playing it all the itme, you'll often be paying 2-3 bets to see flops w/ a crappy hand in that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't randomly decide to play any hand, and understand the relatively low value of suited one gappers, especially in a super aggressive game where it's usually 2 or 3 to the flop for 3 bets.

[ QUOTE ]
in other spots though (mad limpers or your'e first in and open on the button) it's profitable and should be played anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

again, assume anyone reading your response has enough experience to avoid needing this spelled out.

[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: also, 1 hand (4 combos of it) "boosting" vpip so noticeably??

[/ QUOTE ]

as mike l. said, it's the general idea of adding marginal hands, say 86s after maybe 2 limpers, (something i usually muck, actually), that's worth discussing. basically taking all marginal, slightly -EV hands just to get vpip up to 20, or whatever number looks more donkish and less straight forward.

also, i'm not just talking about adding hands to boost vpip, it could be defending more in the bb to boost your blind defense numbers, check-raising more to make people think twice about constantly following through on the turn with initiative, etc. basically, focusing on stats that opponents are using most often, as adding marginal -EV hands has already been discussed as ways of varying preflop play for deception and to boost shania.