Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2006, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Jamie Gold not that bad

[ QUOTE ]
If you don't hate him yet, perhaps this will help:

August 13th interview on Rounders podcast

Here's what Paul Philips had to say:

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a little late with this, but you have to listen to this guy... skip forward a bit to when jamie shows up.

For the first few minutes I thought maybe he's just riding a little high after winning twelve million. But then it goes on, and on, and on, and somehow he keeps amping up his awesomeness even when it would seem there's nowhere left to climb. It was like watching a movie with five climaxes. Hmmm, that might be overapt given how much [censored] was coming out of him.

I love it how every time someone wins a big tournament he thinks he's invented a dozen new poker tricks. Limping with a big hand on the button? It's unheard of! Playing more than 5% of your hands? Groundbreaking! Telling the truth about your hand while it's in progress? Nobody ever does that! I do like that he thinks you're only "supposed" to play 5% of your hands. If I can just line up seven more guys like that I'll win 60% of the pots uncontested. Man, this game is easy.

Just by way of sample, he quotes norman chad as saying "it was by far the greatest display of poker talent in the history of poker." Hey, that's good enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, he would be the only person to act cocky after winning 12 million dollars and outlasting a field of over 5,000 of the best poker players in the world.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:21 AM

He has this weird passive-aggressive thing going where he is trying to play the part of an honest, nice guy but he ends up sounding like a huge condescending d-bag most of the time.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We don't know what kind of guy Gold is. What we do know is the major angle on the lawsuit is now centered upon whether there was REALLY a "deal". So Gold has obviously broken some kind of "deal".

[/ QUOTE ]

Do we have to go over this every single week? It's on audio-tape, it's been played publicly, there was a deal and Jamie's lawyer is trying to find a legal loophole so Jamie can dodge paying his partner. I.e. Jamie is an angle shooting douche with no moral or ethical backbone.

Yes, angle shooting douches can appear to be nice guys when you see them portrayed in attractive light by ESPN, or even when you meet them in a bar. But what makes them angle douches is when they have a chance to screw you, they do. Probably still with that stupid smile on their face, trying too hard to be your buddy even as they stiff you on your half of the chop.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

outlasting a field of over 5,000 of the best poker players in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what part of this statement unsettles me, it just does.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, angle shooting douches can appear to be nice guys when you see them portrayed in attractive light by ESPN

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This is the same network, after all, who portrayed Dutch Boyd as a happy-go-lucky amateur player.

To quote some of my IWC buddies: If it's on TV, it's a work.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:38 AM

I watched the two hours last night of 27 > 9 and it seemed like Gold came off as a gigantic slimy douche and ESPN was doing their best to make that quite apparent. They clearly don't think they can play him as an everyman winner like some of the other guys so they're going to make him the villain.

I thought him lecturing tech on how happy he should be that he (Gold) kept knocking people out was super obnoxious. The AJ hand vs another Commerce regular looks like blatant collusion. Everything about the guy bothers me, including his [censored] Mom.

NT
Old 09-20-2006, 11:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember someone saying that Gold had been raising almost every hand, so Rizen decided to take a stand with the Ace. His table talk did seem really strange though. I'm kind of surprised no one at the table (mostly Mahatma) said anything about the talk while there were still people left to act.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the same thing. i really didn't like what i was seeing or hearing at all, and for Prahlad, the most notorious rules & etiquette stickler in the world, to ignore it is pretty weird.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think alot of the hate comes from people's jealousy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll admit I'm jealous of him. I think most nonwsop main event winners or people who haven't made $12,000,000 in their lifetime are jealous of him. He is also a [censored] prick though. I can't say the same for the last several WSOP champions.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:52 PM

I can honestly say that I'm not jealous of him at all. I just don't think he has a likeable personality. It's really hard to believe that he is sincere at the table based on some of the comments he made....I mean, the guy was acting like it's not his goal to knock people out of the tournament?? That just seems strange.

Plus he was just begging for approval. Like the part where he was saying "yea, I've been lucky, but I'm playing real well too....don't you think".....the guy is just obnoxious. Cunningham would have been a much better champ and poker representative. Gold just seems like a real tool.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:52 PM

I don't think that he is douche simply because he is chatty at the poker table. I know alot of good people that get chatty while playing poker. Alot of players use that to their advantage and to get under people's skin and to create confusion.

And his chatter did a great job of getting mahatma to lay down those 7's when he knew he was good. It was actually one of the more entertaining scenes i have seen watching televised poker and basically ended mahatama's run. And in all honesty, if mahatma makes that call i think he would have won the whole thing.

My only problem with him would be if he is in fact trying to screw over his "partner." If he is doing that then all bets are off.