Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Re: [5/10] I bluff! You called? I value bet!

[ QUOTE ]
hey Xhad,

that turn raise sucks. poker is not in a vacuum. your image matters(alot sometimes). it LOOKS like you are FOS and if i had AT i would consider taking it to 3bets in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]
WOW!
Old 09-17-2006, 03:07 PM

This pot is too small to justify going for long shots. I think betting the flop here is good because often it will allow you to see a free card on the turn-here this was not the case. I would just call the turn and check the river.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I think this is a good time to raise a hand like QJ preflop. You're going to get paid off pretty much every time you hit TP or better because of your image, and if you don't hit, then it's a pretty easy fold after the flop CB.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree raising QJo with this image is good... in CO or on the button. Raising after 1 limper in MP1 is really bad. You'll get 3-bet/cold called more often preflop with this image. Preflop isn't even close to a raise imo, what's your reasoning?
Old 09-18-2006, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree raising QJo with this image is good... in CO or on the button. Raising after 1 limper in MP1 is really bad. You'll get 3-bet/cold called more often preflop with this image. Preflop isn't even close to a raise imo, what's your reasoning?

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the worst thing that can happen by raising here? We get 3-bet by an unknown behind us...and once again, this is a very easy hand for us to get away from postflop if we miss the flop. On the other hand, this is also a very easy hand for us to win a huge pot with if we connect hard, especially against a 3-betting hand & with a LAG image. The key factor here is, we know that we have to improve to win this hand at showdown, and we should be able to pick up postflop (based on who else comes into the pot, how, and what the betting patterns are) exactly how much we need to improve.

This is obviously not a standard play, but I don't think it's a bad play to attempt here. To some extent at least, I believe that you have to be comfortable doing things like this to succeed at 5/10 & above. And the fact that Hero's opponents are probably going to be suspicious enough to pay off when he does hit just makes it even better in my eyes (as does the resulting "confirmation" of his image should he actually win at showdown).
Old 09-18-2006, 06:46 PM

I think if you made this move PF you just have to play the hand exactly as you did.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if you made this move PF you just have to play the hand exactly as you did.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Given table conditions/our image, i think the turn raise is -EV.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't think raising QJo PF from MP1 is +EV either. I just think if you made the move, be aggressive all the way. Otherwise fold PF.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't think raising QJo PF from MP1 is +EV either. I just think if you made the move, be aggressive all the way. Otherwise fold PF.

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes no sense. Just because one decision is -EV doesn't mean we have to make another -EV decision.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:29 AM

So...

This is tough to get pure answers given that you know my cards, but what range do you put me on if you're Villain and I raise the turn here?

Basically at the flop c/r I thought "DAMN FISH ALWAYS PUT ME ON AK LOL" and then a K turned and I said "TPTK LOL".
Old 09-20-2006, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So...

This is tough to get pure answers given that you know my cards, but what range do you put me on if you're Villain and I raise the turn here?

Basically at the flop c/r I thought "DAMN FISH ALWAYS PUT ME ON AK LOL" and then a K turned and I said "TPTK LOL".

[/ QUOTE ]

The thing is, your image means that it doesn't matter if he puts you on AK. He is calling down with anything but a total bluff. If you didn't have a LAGy image, I would be more able to agree with this play, but as someone said earlier in the thread, your image matters here.