Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2006, 07:58 PM

Default [5/10] I bluff! You called? I value bet!

Hero has been at the table for a little over an orbit. Hero had a good run of starting hands and despite never seeing a showdown has raised at least 4 previous hands (so like 25%) and is probably starting to look a little FOS.

(ps I realize that with my image as described this is probably the wrong time to raise QJo from this position please discuss postflop)

PokerStars 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (5.40 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls.

River: (8.70BB) J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets...</font>
Old 09-16-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Re: [5/10] I bluff! You called? I value bet!

Given that you raised preflop...

I think flop is good.

I don't think I would have raised that turn with the open-ender if you think UTG is observant and thinks you are FOS. The reason is that he will likely call you with absolutely anything to showdown. So, you have little fold equity. I'd call the turn.

The river value bet is good in my opinion. And I'd 'pay off' a raise.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:09 PM

I don't like the turn raise...UTG+1 is probably taking a stand with his T and you have no real FE.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:16 PM

I dunno. I don't think you have FE here at all given your image. I'd just call turn, and call river (bet if checked to). As played, however, I like the river bet.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:02 PM

Preflop: bad
Flop: good
Turn: bad
River: good
Old 09-16-2006, 09:38 PM

i love that river. good hand reading.
i feel the turn raise did have fold equity(a lil bit).
but the turn raise while not horrible was not good either
still love the river.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:44 PM

hey Xhad,

that turn raise sucks. poker is not in a vacuum. your image matters(alot sometimes). it LOOKS like you are FOS and if i had AT i would consider taking it to 3bets in this spot. just because you picked up a draw doesn't mean you can't simply call if they are obviously not folding. i would have called the turn and raised the river if i improved.

Regards,

James
Old 09-16-2006, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your image matters(alot sometimes). it LOOKS like you are FOS and if i had AT i would consider taking it to 3bets in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, this only sucks because I probably look like a LAG right? I was so on autopilot this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2006, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your image matters(alot sometimes). it LOOKS like you are FOS and if i had AT i would consider taking it to 3bets in this spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear, this only sucks because I probably look like a LAG right? I was so on autopilot this hand. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

hey Xhad,

in general i really don't like turn semibluff raises online until you really get against tougher competition(and even then you are often punished). given the current nature of the online games they just aren't profitable enough in most situations i see them applied. i feel as if this is one of them.

Regards,

James
Old 09-16-2006, 10:29 PM

Yeah, you really have to have a read on UTG+1 before you can try the turn semibluff raise...and even then, if you're looking LAG he's unlikely to fold a made hand.

The river value bet is excellent.

FWIW, I think this is a good time to raise a hand like QJ preflop. You're going to get paid off pretty much every time you hit TP or better because of your image, and if you don't hit, then it's a pretty easy fold after the flop CB.