Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2006, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Never stop firing?

i think it was lamm but not sure.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Yeah, you put in too many bets here. I prefer to 3-bet preflop against these types with hands that like a showdown. These opponents fold way less often online than they do in live games it seems like.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. Capping pf is a way of someone accidentally telling me they are going to showdown their hand 99% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so untrue imo. The game is running 3 handed and when it is that way people are capping much more lighter than usual. I might cap stuff like JTs,89 which has no showdown equity in the hope that someone with K-Q high will give up before the river and let me win the pot UI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correct, which is why the flop raise is fine. Against select opponents, it might even be fine without the flush draw.

But the thing about this board texture is that forces your opponent to make a decision about remaining involved in the hand more or less instantly. If he's behind, there's very little chance that he pulls ahead with the turn or river card. This is not a situation where he can say to himself "let's peel and maybe we'll hit an out or get a check-behind somewhere and even if we don't [censored] 'im maybe I'll call anyway and maybe I won't". THOSE are the hands where the additional barrels have more chance of working, because your opponents are re-evaluating the hand on each street.

Also, how would you play A3 here? AK? With the A3, I think the natural thing is to play defense and induce bluffs. With the AK, that depends a lot more on table image and recent history, but it's probably somewhat superior to wait until the turn or the river in most situations. In other words, on a board this dry, I think your opponent is correct to assume that you're going to be posturing fairly often, or at least that you've connected with the flush draw on the board.
Old 09-17-2006, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In some sense you've already fired three barrels, counting the preflop 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

very philosophical, nate! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-17-2006, 06:50 PM

If I had a strong A here I'd usually play it fairly fast with the flush draw present since it seems that whenever I play a hand fast on a draw board my opponents seem to think i'm on a draw. I'm not sure if that changes things and I guess in this particular spot it doesn't since he called me down with his pair.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had a strong A here I'd usually play it fairly fast with the flush draw present since it seems that whenever I play a hand fast on a draw board my opponents seem to think i'm on a draw. I'm not sure if that changes things and I guess in this particular spot it doesn't since he called me down with his pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, that is the argument for playing a good ace fast, but since you don't have a good ace (or any ace for that matter), that doesn't help you here.

Also, there is relatively little argument for playing a weak ace fast, and weak aces make up a fairly large percentage of your perceived hand range. Thus, even if you do play your good aces fast, your ratio of bluffs/good hands should be relatively high, as opponent intuited here.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:52 PM

im not saying it will matter, but when you raise that flop with an A in that spot it indicates you dont have an A. a lot of players would smooth call that flop with an A.