Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 12:59 PM

Default Re: What ranking would the top female tennis player be in open competi

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My roommates in law school who both played Div 1 tennis in college swore up and down they would crush Serena and Penis Williams. They thought I was out of my mind for doubting them.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my pals played Div 1 soccer. The Tar Heels women's soccer team is/was almost always ranked #1 and he said people asked him all the time if they would beat his team.

He said they couldn't even beat a high school soccer team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to school with Kelly Amonte, whose claims to fame include being Tony Amonte's sister and being one of the best (if not the best) womens lacrosse player ever, and walking on the University of Maryland soccer team and ending up All-American.

she was easily good enough to play on the boys soccer team. should probably would have been beat up on the lacrosse field (depsite having a couple of older brothers who ended up in the NHL), but her skills were ridiculous. she was fast enough as well, just too small/light.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think of the Battle of the Sexes from 1973 when Billie Jean King beat 55 year old Bobby Riggs? I know nothing about it, just came across this while searching. Granted, the guy was 55 years old, but he was apparently talking a lot of sht.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the second Battle of the Sexes. He beat Margaret Court in the first one. Many people bevieve that he threw the second match, because he did not get the big publicity that he wanted. It would be in Riggs character too, he was known as a big hustler.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Women need to stop thinking they can play with the big boys. Ya hear that Michelle!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf is a sport where the raw athletic advantages of men doesn't factor into the results too much

She may not win a major, but she has a good chance of competing on a regular basis, and making cuts in big events
Old 09-12-2006, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Women need to stop thinking they can play with the big boys. Ya hear that Michelle!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf is a sport where the raw athletic advantages of men doesn't factor into the results too much

She may not win a major, but she has a good chance of competing on a regular basis, and making cuts in big events

[/ QUOTE ]

She will make a cut someday if she keeps trying. That is about it though. She has no chance to legitimately compete on the mens tour. By that I mean play her way on through 7 sponsors exemptions or make it through Q School and finish anywhere with even conditional status. If she qualified and then finished better than 150 after a full year it would be an amazing, tremendous achievement. One she is not capable of. Win a major? LOL. She is a short hitter who has a bad short game. Her mental game doesn't look too good right now either, although her age is a bigger negative on that than the other parts of her game, so she may imporve more in that regard, of what she is doing now doesn't chew her up. The 16 year old boy who made the cut at the nationwide event last weekend averaged almost 340 off the tee. He probably carries it consistently 50 yards past where Michelle hits it. There are lots of guys like him. So in addition to having to beat all the great players now, Michelle will have to beat all the kids coming up. They are a long way from their physical peak, whereas Michelle is fairly close to hers, although not at it.

I have posted a bunch on this and I just don't get the overrating of Michelle. Right now if she played a full season on the mens' tour she would be in the bottom 10 in distance. Stewart Cink who played with her said that. As a very short hitter she needs to have a great short game. her short game is terrible by PGA Tour standards. By 16 year old girl amateur standards Michelle is phenomenal. By LPGA standards she is excellent with a lot of potential. By PGA Tour standards she is pretty bad and won't get much better. In 10 years the average player on the PGA tour is going to be hitting it even longer. She has no shot.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM

HDPM should start a golf forum
Old 09-12-2006, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
HDPM should start a golf forum

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if me and TDK can have a tennis forum.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought perhaps around #60, my (female) colleagues thought #10.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

That would put the best female tennis player right under Marcos Baghadtis. Marcos would put up the double gooseegg in under 45 minutes to any of the top female tennis players in their prime (Naratilova, Graf, Hingis, Davenport, Clijsters).

Other humorous mentions at near #10:

18- Juan Carlos Ferrero
19- Lleyton Hewitt (durr I am Jason Whitlock who is that btw i am fat)
Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM

My friend Clarence, an excellent tennis player at one of those Florida academies but not close to a touring pro, used to beat up on Martina Hingis when she was #1 in the world - like she would rarely get a game off him.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: What ranking would the top female tennis player be in open competition

[ QUOTE ]
I thought perhaps around #60, my (female) colleagues thought #10.

[/ QUOTE ]

10, LMAO

Roddick vs. Sharapova, give me a break.

I don't think a women would ever break the top 100 in the mens rankings, ever. Not even Serena and Venus in their prime.

I remember John McEnroe played one of the williams sisters, and he was like 50, and hung with them.

I don't think you understand how good the top 100 men in the world are.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Re: What ranking would the top female tennis player be in open competition

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you just look at the speed of the fastest serves, men have about 50 km/more than the women which is huge. only a few of them would manage to barely send the ball back, let alone play like that for a whole game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually there are quite a few women who serve fairly hard now, getting above 110 regularly and occasionally touching 120. This is one of the main reasons some people like to assume they're actually pretty close to the men in terms of skill. The women do have a pretty reasonable chance of returning big serves as well. Guys like Bob Bryan have massive serves and don't let up on the girls at all in mixed doubles competition and nobody complains. There are some big hitting girls too who can really kill their groundstrokes if they have time to set up for it.

The real difference is in the footspeed of the men. The average man will cover something like 50% more court, and will get to the ball with time to set up perfectly and comfortably hit an aggressive shot back on the same ball where the girls will just shrug and watch it go by.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course men are also a lot faster, better at quick decisions/reactions and more skilled than women. but what i meant was that even the less skilled brutish guys( the lowly ranked poor man's andy roddick's) would still beat the girls simply by overpowering them , just like the williams sisters did when they used to rule the wta when they still cared about tennis. none of the other players could match their power and they're way behind the average brutish guy. the girls' game is so simple and raw, after you've watched rafa or roger it's not even worth bothering with. and no way there would be wta players who could constantly return 210km serves when the women's record is 205 and that was the best the williams sisters could do when they were on top of their game... even if they did manage to throw the ball back somehow it would be too easy for the guys to put away.