Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: How did you overcome the pressure the first hour of your first WPT ?

Christ its not like you are a favorite out there. Just go out there do your best and play like you got nothing to lose. Don't be cautious early just be yourself.

-Jason
Old 10-25-2005, 10:04 PM

Default Re: How did you overcome the pressure the first hour of your first WPT ?

Jason said it right. Also use your unknown player advantage, it can be huge
Old 10-26-2005, 09:52 AM

Things to prepare for-

1) Work on your deep stack play (stacks of 100+BBs play a lot different than stacks of 20-30BBs)

2) Work on your live play if you don't play live a lot (get into the habit of reading your opponents and not giving off tells yourself. Don't look at your cards until it is your turn to act or almost your turn to act so that you don't give off any information about the strength of your hand to players acting in front of you).

Misc advice -

Don't be making a list of all of the famous people around you or every big hand that you play - you should be 100% focused on the players at your table - trying to figure out what each subtle move they make means (hand movements, bet amounts, etc.)

The one thing you don't want is to come back with regrets that you didn't play your best.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Re: How did you overcome the pressure the first hour of your first WPT

My first WPT event I qualified to play in for $9 so I loooked at it like a freeroll. You should consider the same thing. You won your seat, so go out there and pretend its a $150 tournament with a really good structure. Have fun, gl.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:01 PM

No, I'm from Tucson, az. I don't play online, mostly live tourny. I won a 190 players $250 super sat last weekend and that's how I'm going to Foxwoods.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:16 PM

My first WPT event was the PokerStars Bahamas last year. Sat down with Dewey Tomko on my left, JC Tran, Mimi Tran, Gabriel Thaler and one other pro whose name I can't recall. Said to myself "easy pickens" and proceeded to turn my 10 6 sooooted from the big blind into a flush the first hand. Smooth sailing from there... I was actually more nervous at the start of Day 2 because I had Negraneau and Lindgren at my table and they were playing like maniacs to accumulate chips. Got over that by flopping a boat vs Negraneau that turned into river quads. Poker is easy.

In all seriousness, the most helpful thing I did was play in a live SNG at the venue the night before the main event. Helped calm the nerves. Otherwise just play your game and don't think about the $ at stake.

GL
Old 10-26-2005, 12:19 PM

and that reminds me..

Gabriel Thailor is perhaps the funniest name in history.

Oh Gay Thailor.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:28 PM

One more question, how many people should I expect to see there? and how many hours a day should I be prepared to play?
Old 10-26-2005, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My first WPT event I qualified to play in for $9 so I loooked at it like a freeroll. You should consider the same thing. You won your seat, so go out there and pretend its a $150 tournament with a really good structure. Have fun, gl.

[/ QUOTE ]
What Gavin said. When I played the main event this year, I just thought to myself, "It's only $190." I didn't feel nervous at all. And when I saw how badly some of the guys at my table were playing (I'm just barely an intermediate player), that made it even easier to relax.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:10 PM

when folded to you, shove every time.
only play AA, KK, QQ, AKs when there has been action prior to your's.