Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 PM

Default How did you overcome the pressure the first hour of your first WPT ?

I am playing Foxwoods next month and it's my first major event, I have a question to those who have played in the WPT or WSOP, how did you overcome the pressure and nervousness in the first hour or two of that tournament? I know it may sound like a strange question but I'm sure everyone has felt that way at the begining, what did you do?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: How did you overcome the pressure the first hour of your first WPT ?

i raised a lot.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:55 PM

Default Re: How did you overcome the pressure the first hour of your first WPT ?

I bluffed off half my stack.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:56 PM

Very funny..... any helpful response?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:00 PM

I doubled up on the third hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:04 PM

at the main event once I started playing cards the nervousness wasn't that bad. once you start playing some poker you will find a comfort zone.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am playing Foxwoods next month and it's my first major event, I have a question to those who have played in the WPT or WSOP, how did you overcome the pressure and nervousness in the first hour or two of that tournament? I know it may sound like a strange question but I'm sure everyone has felt that way at the begining, what did you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

Make a game plan before you go. You will get over being nervous once you rake your first pot. Remember that you have an advantage of being an unknown. Good luck.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:13 PM

Default Re: How did you overcome the pressure the first hour of your first WPT

[ QUOTE ]
Very funny..... any helpful response?

[/ QUOTE ]

start off playing very cautiosly, and hope that you're lucky enough to have a worldclass player or 2 at your table. i know its not great in that you likely won't be +EV at the table, but long term +EV can be huge. play very tight early, and just watch any great players closely, and study the way they play. you mostly won't get to see their hands, but as you watch them you'll see just how little their hands matter in the great scheme of things. you'll need to watch the other players too b/c then you'll be able to tell what the good players are thinking when you watch them. you'll get to tell how all the other factors envolved in the decisions usually are more important than the actual hand the pro has.

i've only played 1 WPT, but for me it was an invaluable experience, and ever since then i've been actually thinking about the right things more often when i play. and i feel like it also opened my mind more to be able to analyze the situation more fully. of course things can get more complicated then, but its also necesarry to keep challenging your beliefs if you want to keep improving.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:28 PM

Think about your game.
Think about adjustments you need to make to your game vis a vis deep stack
Execute your game + adjustments

Easier said than done but that's what I did in the main event, and i did pretty well.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Think about your game.
Think about adjustments you need to make to your game vis a vis deep stack
Execute your game + adjustments

Easier said than done but that's what I did in the main event, and i did pretty well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never saw you after Day 1A...how did you finish?