Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Majestic Star II Gary game changes

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, the humanity. Playing nine-handed (ha!), that's more than one buy-in off the table and down the hole per hour.

[/ QUOTE ]
Foxwoods $1-2 is ten handed and $5/hh, but otherwise the same. Also Foxwoods has bizarre buyin rules that prohibit a stack of less than $100 from rebuying to $100 until it reaches $39 (although this is somewhat offset by the fact that the real max buyin is $138).

[/ QUOTE ]
I've heard talk of the strange NL rules at Foxwoods. Wasn't there something about not being able to pay time and/or tokes out of your pocket?

[ QUOTE ]
The point is, the Foxwoods game is extremely profitable despite these incoveniences, and I would imagine the same is true of this game. You wanna play with the fishes, you gotta accept some silly rules to keep them solvent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course. One could even make the point that playing live at all in these days of the Internets is putting up with high costs and strange rules, what with rake, tokes, gas (players and automobiles), having to wear pants, etc. I just worry about fishes getting wiped out too quickly.

I'm encouraged to hear that a similar game at Foxwoods isn't doing that. Though I suspect Foxwoods has a stronger player base than the Chicago-area rooms because of its size, that's a good sign. I understand that some other midwestern rooms (St. Louis, e.g.) are having a similarly profitable time with the same game structure.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:24 PM

Does anyone know when the 1/2 is usually running..?? Seems like this is more of a weekend game... anyone know days/times that are best for getting in that game?
Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've heard talk of the strange NL rules at Foxwoods. Wasn't there something about not being able to pay time and/or tokes out of your pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not supposed to be allowed to pay time out of your pocket, although I've heard anecdotal stories of such. Tokes are discretionary so I don't think they can control where they come from. I've routinely paid tokes out of my pocket because I'm a nerd and like to figure my winrate pre-toke. (But now I'm thinking being such an obvious nerd is probably -EV.)

Odder still, the "no rebuy until you go below minimum stack" doesn't apply in $2-5 or higher, I don't think -- just $1-2. And the min buyin for the $2-5 is higher in big blinds than the max. buyin for $1-2.

The wonder of it all....
Old 09-09-2006, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know when the 1/2 is usually running..?? Seems like this is more of a weekend game... anyone know days/times that are best for getting in that game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I played in this game for about 7 hours last night from about 7pm till 2am. The game was 6 handed when I got there, and the avg stack was about 150$.The game filled slowly over the next few hours, but was 9 handed for about 75% of the time. There was one very solid player there who could have been a 2+2er named Kevin. I talked to him alot through the game, and he said he had been there about 4 days this week, and that he is taking 3-500 each time. I completely believe him after sseeing the incredibly horrid colling stations. I think this game is populated by the guys in the 3/6 game who want to take a cheap shot at NL. There were guys raising under the gun with 910 suited and such on a regular basis. It was very hard to steal here as they always called you down. The only hands I was able to take down with medium hands were when I bet very strong with position. All in all I had some nice hands, and ended up +485 and about 10 hieny lites(3$ good deal). I will be going back once a week on Thursday nights till this pond drys up. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 03:39 AM

Going back tonight(tuesday) around 7-8pm. Same as last time if ya see a big guy with a goatee glasses, and a sox cap, give me a "sup bro". Has anyone else tried this game yet? Players are horrid, and I mean horrid. Wish I could play in it 5 days a week, but the wife and the triplets frown on that.. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am happy they moved the 2/5 max to 300, but the addition of the 1/2 game may take away some of the terrible players from the 2/5 game, which is not good (for me).

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing that happened at the Palms, Mandalay Bay (2/4NL), and Mirage in Las Vegas. They added the 1/2 games and the 2/5's have all turned to TAG games more often than not [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2006, 11:53 AM

Most of the donators who were at 2/5 are still at 2/5. For now the 1/2 is mostly made up of people making the jump from 3/6 LHE to NLHE. I thought that was what I noticed and my observation was corroborated by both dealers and floor personnel.

I think it takes a lot, psychologically, to move down and one reason a lot of donators are bad players is that they don't have the ability to be psycologically tough when it comes to analyzing their skill relative to the table. I think this is different at Vegas properties where the typcial player is a tourist who is not stepping down, they are just looking to play the lowest stakes NLHE in the room.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:39 PM

I was just talking to my brother about this, who played in the 1/2 game for the first time last weekend and said it was pretty juicy.

I was concerned about the $6 every half an hour making the game unprofitable, but it seems like there are enough solid players posting here making money to refute that. Have any of you run into any problems with the rake when you're a little card dead, or are there just enough calling stations to make made hands that much more profitable?
Old 09-12-2006, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
new 1/2 NL with 40 min/100 max, $6/half hour charge

[/ QUOTE ]
The point is, the Foxwoods game is extremely profitable despite these incoveniences, and I would imagine the same is true of this game. You wanna play with the fishes, you gotta accept some silly rules to keep them solvent. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is what concerns me and has prevented me from playing. Gary Indiana is no Las Vegas. People aren't tourists stopping by to check out the sights. People who go to the riverboats are degenerates, gamblers, and sharks.

I can't see how their could be more fish, or even similar fish to playing in Las Vegas. If you're making a specific trip out to the riverboats, chances are you know something or other about "poker".

Am I wrong?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:06 PM

It seems to me that in the limit games at MSII, there are a number of regulars, some of whom have a general idea of poker, and then a number of newbies. The games are generally quite loose and profitable. I have barely dipped my toes into the 1/2 NL games over the past two weekend as I am just learning cash ring NL. It seemed to me that the play was pretty awful. While they might not be tourists, there always seem to be enough players just trying out live poker who are clueless to make the games at MSII very profitable, despite the high rake/time charges.