Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: QQ What to do on the Turn?

Yeah i know now.
Still a beginner!
I deleted the post with the end of the hand.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but what made the guy c/r on the turn, that 9 must be completing someting.

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to think like this too Ontilt. In the past year when I finally started to remove my "Monsters Under the Bed Syndrome" or MUBS, I have seen villains showing down the strangest stuff. Here is a list of what I've seen in these spots:

Raise of top pair on board
Lower PP to the board
Hand w/ a straight draw
Hand w/ a flush draw (this case)
total air
any pair on the board

And these aren't rare cases. This stuff is happening all session.

Call down a bit more and you will start to see the ridiculousness too. You'll drag pot after pot, surprised you won, but it will change your perception of the game and the players you play with.

The players that do this, have you in their grips. You fold your winning hands just as they want you to. Just get to showdown as cheaply as possible and find out.

This isn't to say that you should start calling everything down, just don't be so quick to fold when somebody raises when any straight or flush is possible.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
here the rest of the hand.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (6.25BB, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (10.25BB, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Results:
Final pot: 12.25BB

He had K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want unadulterated advice you have to give us unadulterated hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok now I know the other guy was semi bluffing
Old 09-07-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but what made the guy c/r on the turn, that 9 must be completing someting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think we have enough information to make that assumption. He could be checkraising as a semi-bluff with an OESD or FD. His call on the flop suggests a drawing hand, but unless we are certain he has a flush I think it's a mistake to let this go here on the turn. Calling down ensures we will get paid off when we are ahead, and won't be spewing too much money when we are behind.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:32 AM

I agree with quester. Just because he check raises doesn't mean anything. With his c/r he could have JJ for OESD and BDFD. Call the turn and see if the river puts out another diamond and decide from there.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:47 PM

Call down. There will be plenty of opportunities to fold the turn against a CR with OC, mid pairs etc. When u actually have something pretty good like an OP+gut-shot, u need to call down. Especially without reads. Against a set of T's or 9's u have six outs.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to think like this too Ontilt. In the past year when I finally started to remove my "Monsters Under the Bed Syndrome" or MUBS, I have seen villains showing down the strangest stuff. Here is a list of what I've seen in these spots:

Raise of top pair on board
Lower PP to the board
Hand w/ a straight draw
Hand w/ a flush draw (this case)
total air
any pair on the board

And these aren't rare cases. This stuff is happening all session.

Call down a bit more and you will start to see the ridiculousness too. You'll drag pot after pot, surprised you won, but it will change your perception of the game and the players you play with.

The players that do this, have you in their grips. You fold your winning hands just as they want you to. Just get to showdown as cheaply as possible and find out.

This isn't to say that you should start calling everything down, just don't be so quick to fold when somebody raises when any straight or flush is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very good post and something I need to work on.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:08 PM

I don't like the turn bet if you're going to call and then call the river UI, especially after the flush gets there. IMO it's between check behind/call or bet/fold or maybe bet/call and call or fold depending on the river.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Befolder, this post is very good advice but in this hand a straight, flush, and reasonable 2 pair all just got there. There's a difference between being afraid of any draw and being afraid of every draw.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Befolder, this post is very good advice but in this hand a straight, flush, and reasonable 2 pair all just got there. There's a difference between being afraid of any draw and being afraid of every draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but that generic post was perhaps something the OP still needs to think about in general, perhaps not in relation to this hand as you stated.

That's definitely why I didn't want anyone to take what I said as 'just start calling everything.'

Thanks for pointing out the 2-pair possibility as that is something I probably forget about when there are bigger draws that I'm worried about, though 2-pair still causes me to lose the hand.

I definitely have a lot of things to improve myself.

Edit: I notice I tend to tangent a lot to theoretical or vague "think about this" stuff in posts rather than stick to the exact request. I probably play my game that way too. A feel player, with just enough math to be corret in most situations, but certainly not all.