Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 06:17 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.
Default Re: A possible negative effect of moving down?

I remember the first time I took a shot at 1-2. I wasn't rolled for it but thought it would be fun for a little bit. I new about the sticker shock and thought I could handle it. As I raised the turn I remember thinking "Holy Mother of Monkeys! (or something like that) I just bet FOUR DOLLARS on one street!" My heart was pounding, temples throbbing. I left the table before the blind, up 6BB in less than 10 hands thinking about how that was 12 BB at .50-1 and checking my orifices for blood seepage. It took a while before I went back to 1-2. It helped to get the jitters out of the way when I did move up.

"Try it! You'll like it!"
Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Holy Mother of Monkeys! (or something like that) I just bet FOUR DOLLARS on one street!" My heart was pounding, temples throbbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. Yes, I hate the heart pumping when moving up to a new level. I will conquer it again when my stint at 6max is done. Oh yes I will.

Hell it was nice to win over $100 in just an hour some days.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 PM

I rarely play at the same level all the time. Each month I move up and down 2 to 3 levels at full and 2 to 3 levels at 6 max(usually one increment lower).

For me bankroll management is key and I always use profit and table selection to determine where I should play a particular day.

I always build profit bankroll underneath myself on a monthly basis at my base level first before jumping up however because monthly profit management is a pschyological crutch I haven't got past yet.

I always make sure I only gamble with the profit of that month at higher levels.

I never risk more than my monthly profit to date on move up attempts.

I did it once and it was a big mistake for me.

I find that by doing this the move up is less of a big decision because my confidence is not tested by money anymore.

After a few months, you just find yourself playing more and more at the higher levels because your bankroll is continually moving postitively.

By doing it this way I know I am slowing down the bankroll growth but at the same time I am stablizing its decline as well.

The big downswing periods now are always at the lowest level where I have a huge bankroll to work with.

Currently I have a large enough bankroll for 1/2 but I start each month at .25/.50

Since my game is so wrapped up in my concentration,confidence and control, this is what works best for me.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I rarely play at the same level all the time. Each month I move up and down 2 to 3 levels at full and 2 to 3 levels at 6 max(usually one increment lower).

For me bankroll management is key and I always use profit and table selection to determine where I should play a particular day.

I always build profit bankroll underneath myself on a monthly basis at my base level first before jumping up however because monthly profit management is a pschyological crutch I haven't got past yet.

I always make sure I only gamble with the profit of that month at higher levels.

I find that by doing this the move up is less of a big decision because my confidence is not tested by money anymore.

After a few months, you just find yourself playing more and more at the higher levels because your bankroll is continually moving postitively.

By doing it this way I know I am slowing down the bankroll growth but at the same time I am stablizing its decline as well.

The big downswing periods now are always at the lowest level where I have a huge bankroll to work with.

Currently I have a large enough bankroll for 1/2 but I start each month at .25/.50

Since my game is so wrapped up in my concentration,confidence and control, this is what works best for me.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's a really interesting way of doing it. You get a lot of different experience doing it as well.

It's not for me though as I'm quite happy with sucking out all the learning I can at one level, before moving up. No hurry.

The downside to my approach of course is that I could be making a lot more profit if I were to just jump up and go to like 3/6 or something. I've got about double the roll for it, but I'd rather skill my way up there than bank my way up.

Nice post Smurph
Old 09-05-2006, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think that you probably have a detailed system for wiping your ass.

Not that there's anything WRONG with that... just, wow. So much thought.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm starting to think that you probably have a detailed system for wiping your ass.

Not that there's anything WRONG with that... just, wow. So much thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
You have to remember this is the same guy who brings money to the table in such a way that he leaves his bankroll in even $25 increments. I wonder what is next.
Old 09-06-2006, 01:11 AM

Money management is extremely important to me. This is a hobby but being disabled I can't make this money back. After 14 months I have had only two negative months and the one hideous month was because of moving up to 5/10 and getting killed for 50bb in 3 hours. After that I vowed not to make that mistake again. So I devised a system that has allowed me to have 150 bb downswings and not lose money from my baseline each month.

That does one helluva lot for your confidence level let me tell you.

Since I play an aggressive attacking style that is looser than normal I had to determine a way to control the variance of 18bb versus the standard 15bb and not suffer from a possible negative effect of emotionally getting tied to pots.

I can't play a lot of hands per month so I can't wait out long droughts of cards or bad beats with confidence if I am losing bankroll.

It's definitely slow but I like the green numbers. As you can see the numbers work out extremely close to the $1 bb number, which is where I would be grinding away at under normal circumstances but now I get a lot more table experience.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:17 AM

Even with this thread being about moving down I think It had a lot of information that I needed. Personally my bankroll is quicking out growing my skill level. I switched from NL to Limit game this month after about a year off. I switched to limit because it is easier to bonuswhore lower level limit. Even with a -0.3bb/100hands over the last 5k hands(I know very low number) My bankroll has still grown by close to 600 dollars. I started overrolled with 500 at .50/1 and now at almost 1200 dollars im debating how far to jump up before It might come back to bite me on the ass.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:38 AM

I think it's great that you think all this stuff out... I'm much more, well, unfocused I guess.

I try to follow the basic guidelines... 300BB to play a level, but I'm breaking that since really I'm playing short-handed and you need more for that. I've got 450BB right now for my current level, which is properly rolled... but of course I'm taking stabs at 1/2 now (so far so good), for which I'm desperately underrolled. I get nervous quickly tho and retreat at the first signs of distress.