Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 01:24 PM

Default A possible negative effect of moving down?

In recent months, I managed to move myself comfortably from 1/2 limit to 2/4 limit.

For me, comfortably means two things:

1. finishing in the black more often than the red for profit.
2. Feeling like I'm adjusting to any differences
3. Most importantly for me, not thinking about the fact that the bets are twice as big, thus when I'm down the same amount of BBs during a session, I don't freak out about how much more money it actuallyis.

I was there. I felt good, fine, comfortable. I had played it for about a month and was confident in my decision making for the most part.

After being involved in a thread that talked about needing to learn 6-max (thank Miles, at least I believe it was you), I decided to make a lengthy venture at 6-max, deciding to move down to 1/2 6 max rather than stay at 2/4 since the variance is supposedly high and to give myself some emotional cushion should I run poorly.

I quickly found that I was ready for 6-max all along and have run pretty well with it.

What I just started to think about though, was my return to 2/4 when I'm done getting what I need to out of 6-max. I've not played it for over a month and am again used to the 1/2 bet sizes.

I'm a little worried that I will once again be uncomfortable w/ 2/4. Just a worried feeling. I think I can plow through and reach where I was before.

Anybody else exprience this before when level jumping?
Old 09-05-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: A possible negative effect of moving down?

I'm taking another shot at 1/2 after being down at .5/1 for an extended period rebuilding.

Since I'm not used to the larger bet sizes the $$ amounts are making my eyes wide at times. But I opened a .5/1 table at the same time and just started trying to play them the same without worrying about $$.

Now I'm on two 1/2... I still convert everything back to BB in my head when it gets a little worrisome tho.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm taking another shot at 1/2 after being down at .5/1 for an extended period rebuilding.

Since I'm not used to the larger bet sizes the $$ amounts are making my eyes wide at times. But I opened a .5/1 table at the same time and just started trying to play them the same without worrying about $$.

Now I'm on two 1/2... I still convert everything back to BB in my head when it gets a little worrisome tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I used to convert current losses to BBs also to help alleviate any stupid "get back to even" feelings.

I rarely get that syndrom anymore, but sometimes I wonder if it would help to get one those programs that hide my total. I like to know when I need to rebuy though and being up certainly helps my confidence, which in turn likely keeps me playing correctly.

Results mean nothing though (said so Wookie doesn't berate me).
Old 09-05-2006, 01:49 PM

For me the bet sizes are not the primary fear factor when moving up. So far I've stayed at a level until I had a confident feeling that I have it "figured out". A 100+BB downswing at my comfort level usually doesn't scare me much because I have a good feeling about why I'm down. Losing big hands and even poor play is something that I can live with if I understand what's going on. (Of course it still angers me.)

When moving up out of my comfort zone even a 50BB losing session can make a huge impact on my confidence because I don't have experience at that level and basically don't know why I'm down.

So I would expect that when I move back up to a level I have been confident at that I will quickly pick up on the dynamics there again and continue my confident play.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For me the bet sizes are not the primary fear factor when moving up. So far I've stayed at a level until I had a confident feeling that I have it "figured out". A 100+BB downswing at my comfort level usually doesn't scare me much because I have a good feeling about why I'm down. Losing big hands and even poor play is something that I can live with if I understand what's going on. (Of course it still angers me.)

When moving up out of my comfort zone even a 50BB losing session can make a huge impact on my confidence because I don't have experience at that level and basically don't know why I'm down.

So I would expect that when I move back up to a level I have been confident at that I will quickly pick up on the dynamics there again and continue my confident play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with all three of your points.

1. Large downswings at a level I'm comfortable with don't scare me as I've proven I'm a consistent winner there.

2. I'm much more likley to overreact to a losing session at a new level.

3. I assume I'll be able to return to comfortable play since I felt pretty good while I was there, but it was a short time, so I could have just been running good. I felt like I was playing correctly though.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with all three of your points.

1. Large downswings at a level I'm comfortable with don't scare me as I've proven I'm a consistent winner there.

2. I'm much more likley to overreact to a losing session at a new level.

3. I assume I'll be able to return to comfortable play since I felt pretty good while I was there, but it was a short time, so I could have just been running good. I felt like I was playing correctly though.

[/ QUOTE ]

It goes beyond "playing correctly" I think. In my comfort zone I can put people on hands much better. Even when I make dumb plays like thinking "he has the flush" and calling anyway without the odds this usually doesn't have much impact on my confidence.

Out of my comfort zone on the other hand I could think "he has the flush", call correctly getting the right odds and then be surprised that he has in fact a higher set and not a flush at all and I start questioning my whole understanding of the game.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:04 PM

I would throw bankroll onto that list, at least for my comfort level. I know you are well rolled for 2/4 so taking a loss shouldn't look so detrimental to your overall roll.

If your trully concerned about it though, I suggest trying 2 things.

-First get that converter that makes the money on your gaming screen show up as big bets. That should take the phychological effect of seeing larger amounts of money on screen. A BB is BB, no matter the limit.
-Do a couple 15bb challanges. It forces you to play many different levels and may help you to start thinking in terms of BB rather then monetary terms.

Request: If someone could link that converter, that would be awesome.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would throw bankroll onto that list, at least for my comfort level. I know you are well rolled for 2/4 so taking a loss shouldn't look so detrimental to your overall roll.

If your trully concerned about it though, I suggest trying 2 things.

-First get that converter that makes the money on your gaming screen show up as big bets. That should take the phychological effect of seeing larger amounts of money on screen. A BB is BB, no matter the limit.
-Do a couple 15bb challanges. It forces you to play many different levels and may help you to start thinking in terms of BB rather then monetary terms.

Request: If someone could link that converter, that would be awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I just had a moment where that thought was on my mind. I'm again getting used to seeing wins/losses at a 1/2 level. I think it'll be all right when I decide to return to the 2/4 game, but I can feel myself getting nervous just thinking about it.

That shouldn't be happening. It's the same game. I've done a lot of work and training to make the right decisions (most of the time). So this feeling is ludicrous.

I had gotten used to losing $160 in a bad session. It didn't even phase me because the previous five days I might have finsihed something like +$220, +$100, +$150, +$32, +$90. So I knew that my wins would counter balance those bad days.

More importantly, as Tigerlle (sp) said, if I feel I played well, that's enough for me regardless of what the result was.

It's a weird feeling. I can only describe it as "careless." I could care less what the gain/loss is. It sounds like a dangerous place to be, because typically not caring about something means you aren't scared of the consequences.

Yet, feeling that carelessness is a paramount place to reach in order to play your best poker. Feeling free of the money. You really are just playing a game for digital clay units. "I bet two red betting discs." In the end you get what you have left converted to something meaningful.

Any other time I can't feel careless, then on some level I'm playing with scared money, and I'm always less effective somewhere in my game if that's the case.

Please excuse my level of introspection at the moment.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:30 PM

Your quite right in your thinking imo. Digital clay chips that is. I was watchin High Stakes Poker the other night, Gus Hansen vs. Daniel Negrueanu. DN lost 300k in one hand 6's full of 5's to quad 5's. DN mostly shook it off.

The announcer made a good point. paraphrased: These guys can lose huge sums of money at poker and not bat an eye, but overcharge them on a happy meal and they'll get upset. Money is just the tool of the trade. Nothing more then a hammer to a carpenter.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your quite right in your thinking imo. Digital clay chips that is. I was watchin High Stakes Poker the other night, Gus Hansen vs. Daniel Negrueanu. DN lost 300k in one hand 6's full of 5's to quad 5's. DN mostly shook it off.

The announcer made a good point. paraphrased: These guys can lose huge sums of money at poker and not bat an eye, but overcharge them on a happy meal and they'll get upset. Money is just the tool of the trade. Nothing more then a hammer to a carpenter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice quote.

I remember seeing that show for the first time when travelling for business. I don't have that channel in my cable program. I loved watching that show though.
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]