Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Dealer informs of pot size

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is much better for every player to call time, every hand, so they can count the pot out loud, maybe asking the dealer to spread the pot odd so its easier to count, etc. The next time I find myself at the same table as a nit who tells the dealer not to count the pot, I will be calling time every hand for just this reason.

I'm sure my opponents won't mind. After all, dealing with A-holes who slow down the game is an essential poker skill, just like counting the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

VNH sir
Old 09-05-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is there a reason it's a bad thing? The OP sauid "it's an important skill", but there's no inherent reason it has to be (it's not crucial to the rules of NL poker).

Obviously, it probably helps the fish (which we consider bad), but I don't see an obvious reason for the dealers not to be doing this.

Anyone care to explain?

Onnel

[/ QUOTE ]

Its violative of the one Player to a hand rule. A hand of poker consists of the entirety of the situation -- every player has the opportunity to keep track of the pot and is not entitled top have asisstance from others in doing so. Similarly a dealer should not identify who raised in an earlier round. Part of the game is keeping track of what has happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

This seems like a silly justification. If someone sticks out a pile of chips for a bet in NL, I'm entitled to ask the dealer to count out how much the bet is that I would have to call. That's commonly accepted practice, yet violates your explanation of "1 player to a hand" in defense of not letting the dealer announce pot size during a hand.

Should online tables not display the amount of the pot (that's a rhetorical question).

I also think it's silly that the rule is one way in pot limit and another in no limit. As if somehow knowing how big the pot is is a LESS important "skill" in PL games.

*shrug* I understand that it's often the rule, and if I (rarely) play live cash NL I roll with it. I just think it's silly.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a silly justification. If someone sticks out a pile of chips for a bet in NL, I'm entitled to ask the dealer to count out how much the bet is that I would have to call. That's commonly accepted practice, yet violates your explanation of "1 player to a hand" in defense of not letting the dealer announce pot size during a hand.[ QUOTE ]

Not at all. Clearly these two things are different.

1) Counting a bet (or an opposing players stack in NL) is a job necessarily done by the dealer since you are not allowed to touch your opponents chips, and you are asking what the current action is. You are entitled to know this information and have no other way of getting the information (If the bet size is obvious you don't need to ask for a count). In the case of asking for the pot size (and by the way you are not asking the dealer to count the pot . . . you are asking him to tell you the pot size since the dealer should already know the pot size) you are not asking what the current action is, you are asking for information which is not necessary for the game play AND WHICH YOU HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY to know by following the previous action. Asking the pot size would be like asking the dealer in a stud game to tell you which cards had been folded on the previous round.

[ QUOTE ]
I also think it's silly that the rule is one way in pot limit and another in no limit. As if somehow knowing how big the pot is is a LESS important "skill" in PL games.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand that by its nature, dealers would have to tell players the pot size in POT LIMIT. --

Player A: I bet $100
Player B: I object that bet is over the pot size
Dealer: I'm sorry I can't tell you the pot size you'll just ahve to resolve this by yourselves.
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 AM

As a dealer when someone asks me how much is in the pot I tell them.

Cory
Old 09-05-2006, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As a dealer when someone asks me how much is in the pot I tell them.

Cory

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your floor know you do this?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:23 AM

We were NEVER allowed to tell the size of the pot, unless it was a Limit or Pot Limit game ...
Old 09-05-2006, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We were NEVER allowed to tell the size of the pot, unless it was a Limit or Pot Limit game ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why in a limit game?
Old 09-05-2006, 09:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why in a limit game?

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad - it WAS PL games only !!!
Old 09-05-2006, 04:17 PM

OK, take shots at me first for my reference and then answer the question.

A recent episode of High Stakes Poker had Daniel Negreanu insisting to some other guy (do not remember the name) that asking how much is in the pot is “absolutely” OK do to. Not just spread the pot out but specifically ask how much is in there, NL or PL did not matter. There was a debate about it. I think Daniel was saying in a cash game it is OK. Not so in a torny.

Is this just a Vegas thing? A high stakes, they are spending a fortune here and can do whatever they like, thing?

I agree that it would slow things down for this to be the norm, but if a player is contemplating an all-in call, I may not mind it. If someone is asking then they know about pot odds and are not too fishy, and hopefully know not to do it every hand they are in.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A recent episode of High Stakes Poker had Daniel Negreanu insisting to some other guy (do not remember the name) that asking how much is in the pot is “absolutely” OK do to. Not just spread the pot out but specifically ask how much is in there, NL or PL did not matter. There was a debate about it. I think Daniel was saying in a cash game it is OK. Not so in a torny.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a comment on Daniel, but I am suprised how many "name" players don't know the rules. I have had well known players be unsure if the action was reopened etc.