Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2006, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Small project going about party high stake - Part 1

I think that the type of person who would read a report like this would gain very little from it.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Essentially all the OP is doing is making a big Pokertracker database?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he is building a giant PT database, and then disseminating it in a public forum. I have no problem with building a big database, but I find it highly unfair to the big names in the database to have their games thoroughly profiled. I mean, you'd have to think that the majority of a Party 100/200 player's opponents are going to have this information on this player that they would otherwise would be too dumb/lazy to figure out by themselves.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the type of person who would read a report like this would gain very little from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no desire to create one of these myself, but I've met Mig and trust him and what he'd have to say about his findings, and am pretty sure there are others like me and we would all gain from it (though my worry is essentially too many people will learn from his findings and improve).

I know what you're trying to say though, I think. Someone who's going to just sit down and read his findings and expect to improve is probably someone too lazy to take the time to actually understand the how/why/etc. Sorta like a newish player being given a preflop chart and memorizing it but never thinking any more of it than that.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Essentially all the OP is doing is making a big Pokertracker database?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he is building a giant PT database, and then disseminating it in a public forum. I have no problem with building a big database, but I find it highly unfair to the big names in the database to have their games thoroughly profiled. I mean, you'd have to think that the majority of a Party 100/200 player's opponents are going to have this information on this player that they would otherwise would be too dumb/lazy to figure out by themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think the point is to look at individual players' stats and profile them, and learn to play against them.

i'm under the impression that he essentially wants to take the hands of all the big winners and see what their play has in common, and learn from that. i'm pretty sure he doesn't intend to post any individual stats with screen names.

if i'm correct, i don't consider this much worse than using stuff like pokerace hud.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know what you're trying to say though, I think. Someone who's going to just sit down and read his findings and expect to improve is probably someone too lazy to take the time to actually understand the how/why/etc. Sorta like a newish player being given a preflop chart and memorizing it but never thinking any more of it than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually meant it the other way. :P

I suspect that none of the findings will be particularly shocking to anyone who knows their [censored]. I tend to think that people who would take an interest in (what sounds like) dense statistical analysis would already be pretty well versed in the intricacies of poker.

And for those who dont know their [censored] - trying to change the stat for the sake of changing the stat usually doesnt help much if you dont understand why to begin with.

But i guess ill have to reserve judgement until i see what he gets out of it.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I fully trust Mig, but you have to understand that such a database is literally worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you were thinking, but at face value this is pretty funny.

I'd cut you a sweet deal at $150,000 for my database. PM if interested. Nice work beating those guys up at the high limits btw.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:22 PM

Yeah, in hindsight it seems my statement was way off. But the information in there is very valuable, either way.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:46 PM

The biggest reason I could think of that I would want this data is if I were working on the making of a bot that could beat high stakes games. Clearly this task could only be completed on a simulation basis, thus millions of hand histories would be rather useful.