Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Quad B
#4 Outkast- Aquemini 99 89.19%
#13 Dr. Octagon - Dr. Octagonecologyst 12 10.81%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2006, 08:48 AM

Default Re: HSNL Posters and Variance

maybe you would understand more if you were less wealthy. a lot of people on here could not afford any of the stuff they have if not for poker. for you that is not the case. that makes a big difference.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason i posted this is because the way people like Ari and me look at poker is "If i win the lottery tommorow and have enough money to live lavishly for the rest of my life, will i still play poker", and the answer for Ari is "yea, probably" so its not about the hourly.
I mean arent there are more people like Ari and me who play poker (or used to play) cuz they enjoy it, i mean the fun of making a sick score or the feeling when u lose a big amount?
I guess its only a few of us who really enjoy the emotional rollercoaster high stakes poker is.
I thought thats why we all played, barring a few, but according to the results of this poll theres a lot more people on this board who play poker plainly for the money and not for the enjoyment.
Theres way too many "normal" or "rational" people on this board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why it has to be one or the other. I'd take the pay raise with no variance but I'd still enjoy playing. Money on the table is just numbers and just part of the game; its totally different than money I'm using to buy stuff or money I've lost that I can't pay rent with. I play my best game at whatever stakes because I enjoy the game and the numbers attached to the bets and raises and stack sizes and whatever else are just the mechanics of playing.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe you would understand more if you were less wealthy. a lot of people on here could not afford any of the stuff they have if not for poker. for you that is not the case. that makes a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

which also changes your perspective on many aspects of the game.

for me personally, its not my main source of income, but i play to become the best player, which i think in return is actually an investment because right now. But i also realize, that this is a big advantage, one that is not available to all, and is the barrier between a lot of the decent players out there today. Some are out of pure necessity, and some are out of the necessitiy to be better, but have the option to do that because they have other sources to live.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess it plays a part, but the reason i enjoyed poker when i played is because of the feeling i got when i made a big score, or the 2 [censored] seconds at showdown before the opponent showed his cards when it was close in a big pot and even the depression i felt after i lost [censored] 13 buyins in an hour playing 2k HU.
I mean you read about this [censored] in interviews of famous poker players like brunson, negreanu etc. I agree that it is not the best decision ev wise if this were the case but I just find it difficult to believe that high stakes players would rathe play poker as a job. I think i ever read a Tommy Angelo story about how he played poker as a job and hated it.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd take a 10% paycut w/ no variance (so long as my amount paid increased as i got better/moved up)... so i'd definitely take this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-21-2006, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would take a 1/3 pay cut for 0 variance. But the total would have to be "reset" to 0 every week or so...(if I was being staked, so if I dropped $5K week 1, and week 2 I made $7K I would get to cash out 7K week 2 and not 7K-5K or 2K for week 2...basically any losing weeks I wouldn't have to make up for)

[/ QUOTE ]

??? I'm sure this would increase your winrate alot. You are talking about poker without losing ever, which of course, is an ultimate dream scenario.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:10 PM

I would like to play poker where everyone just transfers me their entire bankroll. I think that would be a lot more enjoyable than the way it is now. I'm gonna make a poll for Rika on the topic.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:19 PM

I think strassa said something like this in a previous post in hsnl... but I would take a pay raise for more variance
Old 08-21-2006, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd take a 10% paycut w/ no variance (so long as my amount paid increased as i got better/moved up)... so i'd definitely take this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-21-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd take a 15 % paycut w/ no variance (so long as my amount paid increased as i got better/moved up)... so i'd definitely take this.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

holla