Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2006, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Are you overrolled?

[ QUOTE ]
people takling about 100 buy in rolls need help

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 200 buyins for NL and 5000 BB for limit.

I need a lot of help.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:49 PM

Overrolled is a relative term. It is always relative to your acceptable risk of ruin.

If you dont know your actual risk of ruin and/or have not defined your acceptable risk of ruin, by definition you cannot be over or under bankrolled for the stakes you are playing. You simply have no idea what the proper BR size actually is.

This is because all the other measures of "correct" bankroll size are inferior to sizing BR relative to acceptable risk of ruin.

See also:
http://www.traderscalm.com/ror.html

From the links:

"Belief in the credibility of your risk of ruin calculation directly feeds your level of confidence and so positively benefits your performance and your profits."
Old 08-15-2006, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being overrolled is fine if you're a professional, but if you play as a hobby or just for spare cash on the side, take some chances.

There's no reason to be playing $.50/1 limit with a few thousand in your bankroll. You can't possibly be supporting yourself playing at that level. The only reason anyone should be playing that low is if they're a very new player still trying to grasp the basics or if they play just for the sake of playing. If you have any asparations of building a good bankroll and becoming a serious player you need to move up.

Don't let variance handcuff you. The truth about variance is that big downswings are rare. Yes everyone has a losing day or even a couple losing days regularly. But a long, extended losing streak is not something you should run in fear from.

Challenge yourself and be confident in your game. If you are a good player, you should have the confidence in your game to expect to win when you play.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is much wisdom to what you say. My reasons for playing grossly overrolled have everything to do with psychological reasons, not financial. I have a good job that pays all my bills and gives me my fun spending cash.

I've been a winner at every level I've played at and I would most likely be a winner (although marginally so) at a higher limit (say at 3/6 or 5/10). However I can't handle losing.

It's twisted but if I win $70 on Monday and lose $20 on Tuesday, Tuesday night I don't feel like I'm $50 up, I see myself as having "lost" $20. This is completely idiotic thinking for a poker player, especially one that is very logical/mathematicl like myself.

However the fact the losses are for insignificant amounts of money keeps me sane. A 100 BB downswing at 1/2 and it's like "Eh, $200, sucks"

a 100 BB downswing at 5/10 and that's a grand, I'd be tossing and turning at night.

Also I still have ego problems. I enjoy being significantly better than most .5/1 players and almost always being the best (or one of the best) players at the table.

Finally, my "see it as BB" view is totally backwards. Like if I win $100 at .5/1 and then drop $100 at 2/4 I feel jipped because I won 75 BB (net) but am even in money. HOwever I can't see the downswings as BB, aka a $400 (100BB) downswing at 2/4 would make me retarded because I'd think "I should be even!!"

I have alot of issues I guess....

I did make a concerted effort to move up (temporarily) a few months ago. I said "I'm gonna play 10K hadns of 2/4 no matter what, and just see what happens"

I very quickly became "used" to the limit and the pot sizes didn't freak me out, but it also helped I was winning, especially early in the 10K hands.

After my 2/4 10K deal I switched to playing/learning NL cash (NL:TAP just had come out) so I put in 20K hands at NL25 (I sucked ass of course, but improved alot).

And I have just recently switched back to limit and am deciding what to do next.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:38 AM

My BR is $163 and I'm playing $.50/$1 NL 6 max. Yeah, I'd say I'm overrolled.

Edit: Actually, I have the exact proper bankroll. If I lose my buy in of $50, I can drop down to the next level. :P
Old 08-16-2006, 12:48 AM

i was playin 50 cent one dollar at four hundred dollar bankrolll, but i guess i was wway underroled, cuz i lost it in one day, that and im an iddiot , took me only like a week to build nine dollars into the four hundred tho
Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 PM

Playing w/ 20 buy ins should provide the rush you need.

If you have a 8k roll and play 2/4 NL, It's common to have a $500- $1000 swing in a few hours. That should get your heart pumping and keep you playing well, no?

maybe not, I don't know.

Also, if grinding it out is boring to you, set some goals. For instance, I have an annual goal and a long term goal, both tourney related.

1) I play a $1500 WSOP event every year, as long as it is under 10% of my BR. That's my 'treat.'

2) I want to get my BR to 50K so I can play bigger tourneys ( $500 buy ins).

Keeping these goals in mind helps me focus on making $$ in cash games.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:27 PM

I have a $3000 bankroll and play mostly .5/1 NL, 1/2 NLregularly and take shots at 2/4 NL and 3/5 NL sometimes. I can't take the game seriously if the money won or lost means nothing to my roll.

But then again, I can't play many hours and when I do, I 1-table, so something has got to keep me interested...
Old 08-17-2006, 03:59 AM

not quite