Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 06:03 AM

Default Re: New Business/Website (want feedback)

this is friggin brilliant, and I wish you gl
Old 08-13-2006, 02:04 PM

I'm less than optimistic. You're counting on people going to your site to see the same kind of ads they want blocked everywhere else.

I don't care how you plan on getting advertisers. How do you plan on driving enough traffic to the site to warrant an expensive paid ad?

Milliondollarhomepage had *some* appeal to casual users because it was a clever and inventive way to display 'ads'. Furthermore, it was a paid service that the users could buy into for a relatively cheap price.

The bigger your site gets (assuming it takes off) the more likely it is to die because of two possible reasons
1) Users have no chance of buying ad space for any amount of time (assuming any user is interested in that at some point)
2) A large company (probably Goldenpalace.com) will buy an ad expensive enough that most people won't bother with a bidding war. This is good for you in the short term but one regular ad (especially for GP) will likely bore the users and kill the traffic.

It's a clever idea, but I think it has some shortcomings that keep it from spreading virally.

Good luck though
Old 08-13-2006, 05:38 PM

Log update
Made some changes to the layout. Added "news/blog" to the top menu as a way to increase the chance of getting more returning visitors. Now there's something to read even if the ad hasn't updated. http://thisisthead.com/news.html
It uses an iframe, which I have only tested on IE6, and Firefox. Let me know if it looks bad on any browser?

Also, I'm still waiting for the 3rd advertiser to get their ad done, which is why it hasn't come up yet.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you plan on driving enough traffic to the site to warrant an expensive paid ad?

[/ QUOTE ]
The first was worth $10 (50$ offer for 5 days) and has already gotten a few hundred clicks. If the site goes well it's going to get thousands of clicks for $10, which seems ok, no?
The 2nd as is probably going to be between $13-$15 and if the site goes well, most ads will only have to pay the minimum 10% since hopefully there will be a change in ads every 2 days (minimum time for each ad).

[ QUOTE ]

The bigger your site gets (assuming it takes off) the more likely it is to die because of two possible reasons
2) A large company (probably Goldenpalace.com) will buy an ad expensive enough that most people won't bother with a bidding war. This is good for you in the short term but one regular ad (especially for GP) will likely bore the users and kill the traffic.

[/ QUOTE ]
2) is the reason that the ad will reset if no one can outbid after 25 days. So even if someone like GP would advertise for say 1000$ and no one wants to take over the ad, after the 25 days I would have profited the 1000$ and now anyone can advertise again for a much lesser sum (50-100ish)
[ QUOTE ]

It's a clever idea, but I think it has some shortcomings that keep it from spreading virally.

Good luck though

[/ QUOTE ]
I also think it's clever [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img], and there's obviously a lot of obstacles, but I'm still optimistic and think that it can succeed.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still optimistic and think that it can succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably the most important thing in business nowadays.

good luck.

btw, I missed that ads reset after 25 days. Hope it gets huge [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2006, 06:38 PM

I have a suggestion for the site. On the various pages, there's no way to know what page you're on unless you remember what you clicked last. You should add a header to the pages like "How it works", "About/Contact", etc.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a suggestion for the site. On the various pages, there's no way to know what page you're on unless you remember what you clicked last. You should add a header to the pages like "How it works", "About/Contact", etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

True. Not many sites so shouldn't be necessary, but yes, I'll fix it soon [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Update:
DuckTheRake.com just joined in which is a site run by fellow poster GoblinMason (Craig).
I'm still waiting for beer.com to send me their ad so I'll hopefully have my 4th ad on within 3 days or so.

After that I'll start working more on the "press campaign" since I feel I need atleast a few ads on before I can even have a chance of getting anyone press related more interested in the site.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:29 AM

Now you can support to 2p2 entrpeneurs at one site! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck, kjell, hope it takes off especially since I now have a 1/200th share! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Craig
Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now you can support two 2p2 entrpeneurs at one site! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Good luck, kjell, hope it takes off especially since I now have a 1/200th share! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

-Craig

[/ QUOTE ]

FMP
Old 08-15-2006, 12:45 PM

im excited to see how this turns out. Keep us posted