Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2006, 10:19 PM

Default Re: What does this say about me?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he played it so 'transparent', why'd you let him get you all in? You mean if he played it any differently, you'd have folded? suuuure.

[ QUOTE ]
If he just led flop and we got it all in, I would not have had this reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't have had the reaction anyways. Who cares how he plays his hand? The result was that he got you all in with the worst of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, I would have been LESS inclined to fold had he played it differently. Just something about the fact that I lost to someone who played that badly, and that from his point of view he 'owned' me with his 'super awesome tricky c/min raise' really gets me riled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't really matter since you called anyways, does it? But please, there's no way your folding that hand short of him turning his hand over and showing you.

Get over yourself. You seem to have a bit too much ego invested in your game.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

And you definitely have too much ego invested in your posts.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know that I played it fine and shouldnt have folded anywhere

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, pre flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.
Old 08-13-2006, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he played it so 'transparent', why'd you let him get you all in? You mean if he played it any differently, you'd have folded? suuuure.

[ QUOTE ]
If he just led flop and we got it all in, I would not have had this reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't have had the reaction anyways. Who cares how he plays his hand? The result was that he got you all in with the worst of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, I would have been LESS inclined to fold had he played it differently. Just something about the fact that I lost to someone who played that badly, and that from his point of view he 'owned' me with his 'super awesome tricky c/min raise' really gets me riled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't really matter since you called anyways, does it? But please, there's no way your folding that hand short of him turning his hand over and showing you.

Get over yourself. You seem to have a bit too much ego invested in your game.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

And you definitely have too much ego invested in your posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever. Sorry I'm not sugarcoating it for him or agreeing with him how the guy played bad to justify him being pissed. That's lame. The guy lost set over set. Boo hoo. It happens.

I'm not here trying to justify or coddle a badbeat post. The root of this guy being riled is his ego, plain and simple. I deal with players like this every day.

The guy asked what it says about him, I told him.

Bite me.

b
Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 PM

Bernie can say what he wants, I dont want him holding back. He is probably right too.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bernie can say what he wants, I dont want him holding back. He is probably right too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Realize I'm not saying anything to belittle you. If it seems that way, sit back, relax and put a different tone of voice to what you're reading. Think about what you're reading instead of just reacting.(this is kinda general to many who may have problems with criticism from posters. Not aimed directly at OP.)

Ego is a tough thing to get through in this game. It runs rampant in this game. It is the one prime detriment of most players. People's poker skills are very personal to them. Some never get over it. It's one main factor good players make money off people who can't get past it. Which is also one reason why poker is very humbling. It's one of the main reasons for tilt.

In terms of growth as a player, ego will hold you back. It's also a very common stage to go through. But it can be tough to shake. I'll say I had to get through it myself long ago. The first step is to recognize it in oneself. Once you can do that, and counter it, you will recognize it in others. You will realize just how much it gets in the way.

If you play enough, (or post enough on here, for that matter), you'll see ego everywhere and how it affects peoples games/thinking negatively.

Sometimes, you just have to realize you were doomed to lose a hand no matter how you played it. Another thing not to do is take it too personal. No one woke up in the morning thinking solely of snapping you off your good hands and then somehow managed to find a way to do it. Even though sometimes it does suck.

Just think/say, nice hand, think of how you could've maybe played it different and go on to the next hand.

Story from the other day:

This was kinda suprising who this came from. The guy kinda knows me and is familiar with me. I haven't played with him in awhile. But he's been bemoaning for awhile at the table about everyone snapping him off and telling them what great calls they've made/are making. He used to not do this, that I know of. Evidently he's hit a wall in his growth as a player. At this point in the session, he really should take a break or call it a night.

I raise EP with KK. 2 callers...

Rags flop, I bet, call, fold.

Turn A I bet, call

River K (I river goot!)

I bet, guy calls, I tell him as I'm flipping my hand that I think I caught him on the river. After a big sigh he says aloud, "Yeah, it was a nice call you did there!"

"Uh, actually, I bet. Not call" I correct him, matter of factly. Following up with, "If you're going to berate my play, at least get the action right. K?"

He gives me the 'whatever' look. "Same thing." he says sorta sarcastically.

"You could've raised..." He nods with a blip of recognition that he could've won the pot like that.

One thing about him raising the turn, he played it fine on the turn. If he raises, I can fold correctly. But he's too concerned with just getting beat.

But note, I didn't bring up to him his beautiful flop call with (hindsight)3 outs. I don't mind that call at all. More power to him.

But when you start kinda thinking this way, stop yourself from aiming at the targeted player and ask yourself about your own game. It's a good sign that you're not thinking that well while playing the game.

b
Old 08-14-2006, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He didnt start the hand with a full buy in

[/ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop. You're almost definetely not getting the implied odds you need to flop a set here.
[ QUOTE ]
from his point of view he 'owned' me with his 'super awesome tricky c/min raise'

[/ QUOTE ]
Unlikely. He flopped top set and got paid off. He's thinking 'oh nice, that's great.' not 'I owned that noob lololo I em teh greatest.'

[ QUOTE ]
What does this say about me

[/ QUOTE ]
It says you're overthinking the whole game because of a sick (post flop) cold deck. And maybe on tilt because of it.
Old 08-14-2006, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Realize I'm not saying anything to belittle you. If it seems that way, sit back, relax and put a different tone of voice to what you're reading. Think about what you're reading instead of just reacting.(this is kinda general to many who may have problems with criticism from posters. Not aimed directly at OP.)

Ego is a tough thing to get through in this game. It runs rampant in this game. It is the one prime detriment of most players. People's poker skills are very personal to them. Some never get over it. It's one main factor good players make money off people who can't get past it. Which is also one reason why poker is very humbling. It's one of the main reasons for tilt.

In terms of growth as a player, ego will hold you back. It's also a very common stage to go through. But it can be tough to shake. I'll say I had to get through it myself long ago. The first step is to recognize it in oneself. Once you can do that, and counter it, you will recognize it in others. You will realize just how much it gets in the way.

If you play enough, (or post enough on here, for that matter), you'll see ego everywhere and how it affects peoples games/thinking negatively.

Sometimes, you just have to realize you were doomed to lose a hand no matter how you played it. Another thing not to do is take it too personal. No one woke up in the morning thinking solely of snapping you off your good hands and then somehow managed to find a way to do it. Even though sometimes it does suck.

Just think/say, nice hand, think of how you could've maybe played it different and go on to the next hand.

Story from the other day:

This was kinda suprising who this came from. The guy kinda knows me and is familiar with me. I haven't played with him in awhile. But he's been bemoaning for awhile at the table about everyone snapping him off and telling them what great calls they've made/are making. He used to not do this, that I know of. Evidently he's hit a wall in his growth as a player. At this point in the session, he really should take a break or call it a night.

I raise EP with KK. 2 callers...

Rags flop, I bet, call, fold.

Turn A I bet, call

River K (I river goot!)

I bet, guy calls, I tell him as I'm flipping my hand that I think I caught him on the river. After a big sigh he says aloud, "Yeah, it was a nice call you did there!"

"Uh, actually, I bet. Not call" I correct him, matter of factly. Following up with, "If you're going to berate my play, at least get the action right. K?"

He gives me the 'whatever' look. "Same thing." he says sorta sarcastically.

"You could've raised..." He nods with a blip of recognition that he could've won the pot like that.

One thing about him raising the turn, he played it fine on the turn. If he raises, I can fold correctly. But he's too concerned with just getting beat.

But note, I didn't bring up to him his beautiful flop call with (hindsight)3 outs. I don't mind that call at all. More power to him.

But when you start kinda thinking this way, stop yourself from aiming at the targeted player and ask yourself about your own game. It's a good sign that you're not thinking that well while playing the game.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the best posts I have read on 2+2. I'm sure many will read it- but I wonder how many will truly (be able to ) digest it?

Thanks for this Bernie.

Ian
Old 08-16-2006, 09:01 PM

I know people on 2+2 hate any kind of min-raise (min-check-raise in this case). But if it gets the desired effect (villain all-in with the current nuts) isn't it a valuable play?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:25 PM

Yeah it pisses me off to see a guy play a hand technically like [censored] but get your money just because your hand was too good to get away from. Not only this, but he's going to think he was really clever and outsmarted you and you just want to reach across the table and slap the little dumb bitch and then ask him who's real [censored] smart now.

What does all this say about you? That you're like me. And bernie's probably right about having less ego in your game, but if that's unmanageable then appeasing your ego in a different manner would be better.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
from his point of view he 'owned' me with his 'super awesome tricky c/min raise' really gets me riled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you anything to suggest that he's thinking this? He may have thought to himself when the cards were flipped over "wow how often are two sets going to be out that guy got unlucky". I often assume internet players who suck out/cold deck me are [censored] who think they are experts etc.... but when I play live and these situations crop up usually the donk is at least aware to some degree that it was a lucky situation or lucky hit. Most ppl arent obnoxious when given a chance.