Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 06:56 PM

Default What does this say about me?

Just played a hand. PFR raises to $24, I call with 44, blind calls. Flop T94r, check, check, I bet 55, blind folds, pfr check min raises. We eventually get it all in and he has TT.

Believe me when I say I dont care about this set up, nor the money. It is just one of those things, and I'm getting pretty good at accepting it. However, I got pretty pissed off at losing to his hand the way that he played it. The fact that he played it as donkishly and transparently as possible. He didnt start the hand with a full buy in, and was unknown, so however dodgy it looked, I know that I played it fine and shouldnt have folded anywhere, but Im just pissed off to lose it in such a manner. If he just led flop and we got it all in, I would not have had this reaction.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:37 PM

Default Re: What does this say about me?

If he played it so 'transparent', why'd you let him get you all in? You mean if he played it any differently, you'd have folded? suuuure.

[ QUOTE ]
If he just led flop and we got it all in, I would not have had this reaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't have had the reaction anyways. Who cares how he plays his hand? The result was that he got you all in with the worst of it.

b
Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 PM

i understand what you're saying 100%. bernie he obviously got it all in because he had a very strong hand in 444.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he played it so 'transparent', why'd you let him get you all in? You mean if he played it any differently, you'd have folded? suuuure.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't have had the reaction anyways. Who cares how he plays his hand? The result was that he got you all in with the worst of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, I would have been LESS inclined to fold had he played it differently. Just something about the fact that I lost to someone who played that badly, and that from his point of view he 'owned' me with his 'super awesome tricky c/min raise' really gets me riled up.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:43 PM

If you knew he had a better set then you should have folded because you weren't getting the necessary pot odds which is to say your statements are contradictory. Either he didn't play it transparently enough for you to pick up on it or you didn't play it fine.

None of which is really relevant. You can't control how they play. You can't control the cards that come. Any energy wasted on things you can't control is energy that cannot be spent on the things you can control like your own play.

What it says about you is that you need to work on your emotional control. You put chips in when you knew you shouldn't, and blamed an opponent for your own mistake. Own your mistake and leave it by the side of the road.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:04 AM

obviously both luck and skill are involved in poker. just remind yourself that you were unlucky to get cold decked, and losing a lot of money on that hand is not a function of your opponents skills. i would just smile, knock on the table, and say "very nice hand" in as sincere a fashion as i could and be done with it. i find that being positive in these situations helps me avoid tilt. as a side benefit, opponents who put bad beats on me (or who i get cold-decked against) sometimes feel bad and don't play as well against you -- which makes it a lot easier to earn the money back. this won't really happen against good players, but does sometimes happen against weaker ones.

unlucky cards and circumstances don't cause you to tilt, only you can cause yourself to tilt.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand what you're saying 100%. bernie he obviously got it all in because he had a very strong hand in 444.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. If the other guy was so transparent, he'd have obviously known he had TTT.

Again, who cares how the other guy played it? He lost. Get over it.

b
Old 08-12-2006, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No no, I would have been LESS inclined to fold had he played it differently. Just something about the fact that I lost to someone who played that badly, and that from his point of view he 'owned' me with his 'super awesome tricky c/min raise' really gets me riled up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't really matter since you called anyways, does it? But please, there's no way your folding that hand short of him turning his hand over and showing you.

Get over yourself. You seem to have a bit too much ego invested in your game.

b
Old 08-12-2006, 01:00 AM

losing a big pot with a monster hands sucks.

-J
Old 08-12-2006, 01:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I know that I played it fine and shouldnt have folded anywhere

[/ QUOTE ]

Er, pre flop?