Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: God I Hate Flat-Callers

Check/call does seem correct, and AJo OOP is st I like to limp and evaluate on flop.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hindsight is 20-20, but with a raise preflop you might have avoided this sticky situation.
As played you can't narrow his range too much, other than discounting pocket 10s, and JJs. Pocket 2s, J-10, 8-9, Q-9, QK, Jx, 10x, etc. are all very possible holdings.
c/f or bet 1/3 pot. cuss and fold to re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a terrible spot to raise PF. There had not been much limping at the table, and I don't AJ is ahead of the limper's range, at least not by enough to make up for being out of position. And once I raise, I don't have many options post-flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
You think the limper is sand bagging with a monster?
If not, the only hands you're behind are pocket pairs, probably 2s-9s.
I'd expect a raise from AQ, AK.
AJ is a split, and the remaining A's you dominate.
A preflop raise should get you HU vs. the limper. If the flop hits with 1 face or less, bet out and take down the pot more often than not. The only flop that you should check to is one with a QK, especially if a 10 comes with it.
Preflop you've got position and most likely the best hand. Postflop, you'll be OOP, but first in vigorish will very likely take down the pot for you here.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:34 PM

I would expand the likely hands that uclabruinz suggested as follows (remember he checked his BB preflop):

Any J,T,2
KQ,98,22-99

Out of these, the only hands you are behind on the turn are:
JT,J7,J2,T7,T2,72,22,77,98

If you are ahead, giving a free card gives him anywhere from 2-5 outs, unless he has KQ, where he has a ton of outs.

In this situation, you are betting in the dark if you bet, and you will fold most of the hands that you are currently beating, while you might get a call from a small-medium value bet on the river if it goes check-check.

I can't imagine that any play other than check/call is appropriate here. If he checks behind, value bet the river.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised by anyone who would bet/fold. This is essentially TPTK in a blind vs. blind situation. I mean, as BB, I probably call the SB's flop bet with almost any ten just to see what he does on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, but you don't then go on to slowplay/raise KT on that turn...

if villain checks behind, of course you value bet (if a jack hits, consider the awesomeness of a CR shove)
Old 08-11-2006, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised by anyone who would bet/fold. This is essentially TPTK in a blind vs. blind situation. I mean, as BB, I probably call the SB's flop bet with almost any ten just to see what he does on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but I was assuming we were talking about Villain's range up to the point Foucault posted, not his range after something occured on the turn.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:54 PM

The general consensus seems to be to c/c the turn, but is this regardless of the size of the villain's bet?

min-bet?
1/3 pot?
1/2 pot?
pot?
shove?

do we c/c all of these? i see seke2 above says "yes"
but, if not...
Old 08-11-2006, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With no notes, I bet half villian's remaining chips and then easily call his push. He didn't raise pf or on the flop, so I'd put him on a str8 draw or a pair here. You are well ahead of that range. If you check, a thinking villian pushes here. You bet says you are happy to call while leaving him a safe escape route.

[/ QUOTE ]
If you think a check makes him push an inferior hand, why do you bet half his stack and allow him to fold?
Old 08-11-2006, 05:23 PM

I hate AJ in this position - stack sizes do suck - I think I fire another bullet of around t1700 (?) as he could have AT-AK or something like a PP that he thinks he's ahead of. Maybe JT but he's in BB so would guess he just came along and hit something on the flop (maybe he has a J or T with lower kicker).

After that I'm done with the hand and folding to a push.

PS Wow back from the WSOP so soon I thought you would have stuck around to pwn the smaller tourney's afterwards!

PPS Maybe now it's time to change your loc from "Busting Cripples" to "Hangin' with Annie Duke" or something like that? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-11-2006, 05:49 PM

Go into c/c mode as a hand that beats you *probably* won't get in by the river out of fear that he'll lose you, and you make close to as much against hands that are losing to you.

If he checks the turn, value bet the river.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-11-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's true, but I was assuming we were talking about Villain's range up to the point Foucault posted, not his range after something occured on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

let's try this again

you bet the flop, he calls

you bet the turn, he raises

his range does/does not have KT in it (circle one)