Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM

Default Re: 16t - final two hands of a game

K9 is a much better hand than J6s to call with. There is a much greater chance that you are actually ahead in the hand, which is HUGE when calling all your chips.

I would not call J6s in the second hand.

It seems like a lot of your questions have to do with basic ICM situtations. If you don't have SNGPT...get it.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems like a lot of your questions have to do with basic ICM situtations. If you don't have SNGPT...get it.

[/ QUOTE ]SNGPT is most valuable when the user can select appropriate ranges for the opponents. Experience and discussion are the best ways to recognize appropriate ranges. This is a great place to have the discussion.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM

I'm a bit surprised the first one isn't a call. Perhaps this is a case where the fact that ICM does not take into account the blind situation for the next hand plays a role. That is: our EV if we fold isn't as good as ICM suggests because we will be in the SB next hand.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:58 AM

AJ, again, you are asking good questions. As I stated before, playing the bubble well defines a good player.

Any and all hands can be very dependent on a read. Of all times, a read can often times be more precise on the bubble or very very early in the game. IMO, hand 2 is not up for discussion. The only issue is ...should you have gotten to hand two?

On hand one, perhaps the best way to be looking at this is to backout, mathematically, how wide a range button needs to be shoving for you to make a call, and conversely, calculate how strong a hand you need for each estimated range you're using.

It's not often, but people who know how to play (and even donkeys often **know** how to play the bubble w/o even knowing they know) effectively with larger stacks can really rack'em against tight players (like you). Here's an FTR post of a guy who is demonstrating how he pwns the bubble.

Back to hand 1, if your intention is to fold, and try and double up the very next hand, there's lots of work to still be done. For example, the probability of your hand strength the very next hand is ~T7 when you fold J7s. Your decision on hand 2 really should be decided during hand 1. What's the probability it's folded to you? You may have to be deciding between which hand is less -$EV.

I don't have the desire or the time to do this for you, but I am going to play a little devil's advocate here and say that hand 1 might be the better play.

Regarding SNGPT: AJ, perhaps you would benefit from learning how to do the math by hand. When I coached, I made this mandatory, as it makes a difference in your comprehension of the game, the SNGPT results, and overall for making more effective in-game decisions, especially when hands are multiway (which SNGPT cannot solve for).
Old 08-10-2006, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding SNGPT: AJ, perhaps you would benefit from learning how to do the math by hand. When I coached, I made this mandatory, as it makes a difference in your comprehension of the game, the SNGPT results, and overall for making more effective in-game decisions, especially when hands are multiway (which SNGPT cannot solve for).

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if you don't learn to do the calculations by hand, it is useful to take a look at a few of the other numbers that SNGPT provides: %win, EV Win, EV lose. It will likely give you a better understanding of where the equity comes from.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Even if you don't learn to do the calculations by hand, it is useful to take a look at a few of the other numbers that SNGPT provides: %win, EV Win, EV lose. It will likely give you a better understanding of where the equity comes from.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not argue your point. I'm only responding because I feel your comments are lessening mine. Any serious student of the game should delve deeper. Aj's coloring is green, so I'm assuming he's a mod (plus I know). I don't think you take on the duty of mod without having some deep desires about poker. Furthermore, aj is demonstrating his desire to learn this game, and is not just a posting junky or OOT junky.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would not argue your point. I'm only responding because I feel your comments are lessening mine.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't mean to lessen your point; I would not argue your point.