Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Wisdom teeth extraction- advice needed

[ QUOTE ]
Just go for the novacaine, it's not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-09-2006, 05:23 PM

Whenever you have a medical procedure done you should have the lowest level of sedation that is medically advisable. This advice comes from my mother (a 20 year Surgical RN) and the surgeons she works with.

There is a reason why if you do the IV they make you watch the video that says "Hey, you could die". People do die each year from this sort of thing. Not many, but it happens. Primarily because if something happens, they don't have the facilities to revive you, and because they don't have experts giving you the drugs as would happen in a hospital.

I had 2 impacted lower teeth and 2 non-impacted upper teeth. Got gas and novacaine. Took like 1 hour, felt like about 3 minutes. And yes, they had to shatter my bottom teeth to get them out.

Surgery on Friday morning, went home and drowsed til bedtime. Worked a 9 hour shift waiting tables on Saturday. No Problems.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting put under for wisdom tooth extraction is not something I would ever do, unless there were major complications.

What you should do is learn how to make very good scrambled eggs and milkshakes . Pudding is also good, but the first two were staples for me as I was recovering.

[/ QUOTE ]

No milkshakes, sucking on a straw can cause dry socket.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Just go for the novacaine, it's not that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ya, I heard getting knocked out makes you woozy for a long while after whereas novacaine and you're fine afterwards (minus the mouth sensitivity)
Old 08-09-2006, 05:37 PM

I got put out entirely, the next day my boss in the produce dept. calls me up and says they need me today. So I go into work ( at the time I am 16 and stupid) and during work drink like 1/2 of my bottle of codine. So, after work I am leaving the parking lot and I drive up onto the curb across the sidewalk and run into a little tree. Dont damage the tree or my car since Im going so slow. Then I am home and some cop comes and knocks on my door and says hey somebody (on break at the thriftway where i work) saw you driving 80 mph down the hill and crashed into the tree. So I say no the people that work there are idiots and make things up, I just drove on the curb accidently because of the codine im on. Also how would I not [censored] up the car or the tree at 80mph? He says well I found some bark flakes on your bumper, and then I start laughing... Then he laughs gives me his card and says don't drive while you are on codine.

So, I guess it would be wise to take a couple days off to recover. Also I would recommend being knocked out. That way you don't have to deal with any possible distress during the operation. I was able to lift heavy boxes of bananas and stuff the next day so the wooziness people are talking about didn't happen for me.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:39 PM

I got mine out when I was a senior in HS... I got the gas and the local. The surgery itself wasn't too bad, but for whatever reason, my mom neglected to get my afterwards drugs for about 4 hours after... One of the sockets got all messed up from that little incident, and the meds I did eventually get made me feel sick as hell, so I was going with about 2.4g of motrin every 8 hours (which actually worked drastically better than the "good" drugs anyhow).

The big thing is, try to get the after prescription filled the day before.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are wusses

I got my wisdom teeth taken out at Navy boot camp. No going under, just lots of novacaine and a blindfold over my eyes. I barely felt a damn thing

[/ QUOTE ]

i had impacted teeth, novacaine, no blindfold =P. kicker is that this was actually at an oral surgeon's place, parents didn't want to pay for gas/iv.

all i have to say is dont ever consider this option. considering you can see the scapel go into yoru mouth and you can feel them chopping off pieces of the gum and such...i would say anything that knocks you out.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:23 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You guys are wusses

I got my wisdom teeth taken out at Navy boot camp. No going under, just lots of novacaine and a blindfold over my eyes. I barely felt a damn thing

[/ QUOTE ]

i had impacted teeth, novacaine, no blindfold =P. kicker is that this was actually at an oral surgeon's place, parents didn't want to pay for gas/iv.

all i have to say is dont ever consider this option. considering you can see the scapel go into yoru mouth and you can feel them chopping off pieces of the gum and such...i would say anything that knocks you out.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I had it done, I thought the blindfold was a form of torture. Looking back, this is clearly not true. Although it did add a bit of morbidness to the affair
Old 08-09-2006, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You guys are wusses

[/ QUOTE ]

blindfold? my tax dollars sprung for a blindfold? sheesh.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:11 AM

I just had mine out last thursday, and they gave me a valium to take beforehand and laughing gas during plus the novocaine. I didn't feel the effects of the laughing gas at all, but the novocaine did it's job and I didn't feel a thing. I never felt that much soreness, and out of the whole procedure and recovery, by far the most pain was from the novocaine injections. I didn't even need most of the vicodin prescription they gave me, so I have a bunch lying around...