Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Re: TAG or LAG?

I don't play WSOP events, I mainly play $20 tourneys.

If you can play it successfully, it really doesn't matter what kind of style you have. At all. There's merit to what seke said in that playing a successful TAG style is likely easier for most than playing LAG successfully, but that's not what you seemed to be asking.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:55 PM

It's definitely up for debate.

Tight is easier and safer.

I've opened up my early play as I've become more comfortable reading other players. Early on though, the fish are plenty, and it's a real two edged sword. I would not recommend my style for anyone, but I know it works for me.

I think the best advice is close observations of your opponents and adjust your play accordingly.

I think going against the grain comes naturally to me, so I'm not sure how to "teach" it.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:59 PM

I know that it doesnt matter what your style is as long as youre in the black, or green as PT has it, but I was wondering if playing TAG is the new LAG. There was a time when I first started playing seriously about two years ago, when playing TAG was all the rage. More recently it has come to be that playing LAG and trying to accumulate chips from the get go is the optimum strategy.

I was asking because I seem to have a very eclectic style of late and honestly feel as though I could play either way.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:53 PM

I think to be sucessful you have to be able to really mix it up at different stages of the tourney. I know this is not new, but there are times when I just seem to accumulate chips at the rapid in the early going and other times when I cant seem to get things going. I do favor an aggro style and its in my nature to do just that. I'm never afraid to go all in, even on a bluff, knowing that I am most likely to not get called. I guess you can say that I am a semi-lag/tag type player. The most important point is that you MUST learn to switch gears and understand the table dynamics. This is the hardest part for many of us. Your focus must also be there, one of the reasons I'm not a big fan of playing more than two tourneys at once.