Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2006, 04:04 PM

Default TAG or LAG?

I can't get enough of the $10-$20 MTT at PS. I have had limited success in them. That is to say I am a winning player although not by much. I decided to watch some of the really frequent players in the big multis on PS and see what style they played as I am interested in playing a LOT more of the Multis once I go back to school and have more free time.

I always thought that you wanted to play somewhat LAGgy in the early stages to try and get the chips from the clowns early, but the guys I watched always seemed to play very very tight and it seems the average player in these MTTs plays LAGgy now. Is the strategy employed by these frequent winners a good one, one that I should try to duplicate with my own play?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:19 PM

Default Re: TAG or LAG?

Yes, No, 45%, Yes.

Good thread.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:23 PM

My motivation for this thread was the fact that it seems as though the commonly accepted strategy for multis is to accumulate from the first hand dealt, a la Erick Lindgren's book, however the players that are playing multiple MTTs at a time are not employing this strategy. That seemed odd to me and I thought it may have something to do with the fact that everyone is playing LAG now.

No need to be a tool 0ev
Old 08-07-2006, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My motivation for this thread was the fact that it seems as though the commonly accepted strategy for multis is to accumulate from the first hand dealt, a la Erick Lindgren's book, however the players that are playing multiple MTTs at a time are not employing this strategy. That seemed odd to me and I thought it may have something to do with the fact that everyone is playing LAG now.

No need to be a tool 0ev

[/ QUOTE ]

He can't always help himself. Everyone is not playing LAG. I still believe it's best to do whatever is opposite how your table is generally playing, so I open it up when they aren't and play tight when they're loose. If you aren't capable of switching gears like that yet, I'd stay tight early and take chips from the bad players when you have good hands.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:29 PM

Thanks seke, I have read many of the 'trip reports' both in the anthology and the more recent ones and they've been a big help. It seems like I'd be best off staying tight and hoping to catch a decent run of cards in the 2nd hour.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:33 PM

PLAY YOUR OWN F'N STYLE.

I just shake my head whenever people post stuff like "should I try playing like Dan Harrington in my $6 45-man SNGs?"

Well, I write [censored] responses too, but first I shake my head.