Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 02:54 PM

Default Re: A pretty standard preflop question

"xx" is very important here. A safe flop versus a fairly passive villian I don't really have trouble just calling. But versus an aggro villian or a wet flop, we need to reraise for protection. Finally, its shania, since hopefully we are raising more than sets on Q73r.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually fold and like never reraise but I play full ring. I think Tuff_Fish repops this everytime though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I noticed him repopping it all the time and found it curious, although in position I think that is a legit option, perhaps better than calling in some instances. I think raising it allows you to fire at a low flop with much greater fold equity.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:56 PM

I used to always fold here. But the button is just so powerful, and if you know how to use your position I think it is definitely +EV to call. Frankly, given the opening ranges and postflop play of most folks at 200NL it is probably +EV to call with almost anything.

I also don't like people taking my button and will try to deter them from doing so. Thus even if it is neutral EV on the whole, calling here and making their life difficult will discourage them from opening light on my button in the future, which is a good thing.

This is not a hand I like reraising with though in this spot, though I will do it occasionally against the right type of player (but not a 200NL unknown usually unless I am in a particularly aggro mood). I think you should be reraising a lot on the button against a CO raise, but I just don't think KQo is the hand for it usually.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold. Every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving up your button so easily is just bad poker.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I also don't like people taking my button and will try to deter them from doing so. Thus even if it is neutral EV on the whole, calling here and making their life difficult will discourage them from opening light on my button in the future, which is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point yad, even if it's slightly -EV in this hand, if you're constantly making their life difficult they will go nuts at some point and dump a stack to you.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold. Every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree. I don't think it can be totally justified just by saying that one is multitabling and can find "better spots" on one of the other 7 screens.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:44 PM

FWIW, I fold 5%, reraise 5% and call 90% here.

I think that in general, its a pretty easy call if you're comfortable with your postflop game. Ist very easy to play a Q or K high flop normally, and we can even get 2 bets from worse hands a lot of the time.

Also, being in position is HUGE. We can float a lot of flops. I alos really like yad's point about discouraging the CO to steal our button.

I just want to add that I really reraising here, as I think we lose quite a bit of the hands value.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:51 PM

This is a great post dbitel as it highlights how poor I am at positional poker. I know I hate being OOP but do not use my late position situations nearly well enough.

NH
Old 08-04-2006, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Easy fold. Every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT. I'll call with KJ here, much less KQ. From every other position, this is a muck, but my button is my money.