Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2006, 11:35 AM

Default Re: WSOP ME Day 1 Pocket Jacks

What's this 3-betting everyone's talking about? Is the PF raiser, the 2-bet? Wouldn't it then be a 4-bet since both blind actions would be the 1- and 2-bet? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I call hero's desired action a re-raise, but whatever...
Old 08-04-2006, 12:38 PM

I think I would call due to the overly aggressive original raiser, plus we have position. If we raise and he re-raises, we can't really tighten up his range except to maybe TT+, AQ+, which isn't that much tighter than what it is now, and what do we do then? Cold call or fold? I prefer to keep the pot small when it's this late and hope to spike a jack. I don't want to get married to the hand right now.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With stacks this deep, 3-bet for sure. If you had 30-40BB, cold call for sure...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be much more inclined to 3-bet with 30-40BB's than with stacks this deep.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Results

I called. Blinds folded. What most folks don't realize with one or two more hands left and everyone exhausted people don't want to play a hand. Everyone is looking for an excuse to fold.

Flop came with an Ace. Hand was checked till the river when villian made a t800 bet which I called. He flipped over AK.

Even though I lost the minimum I felt like I played the hand
weakly. I thought if Edog or Dan N. were me it would have been a much bigger pot. But I was content to call it quits after a brutally long day.

I was so mentally exhausted that I had difficulty driving back to my hotel and almost hit two cars on the freeway and did not leave my hotel room until 4PM for a massage the next day. I highly recommend people work out, ie. physical excercise, for these marathon events.

I'm accustomed to working 36 and 48 hour shifts but I have never felt this mentally fatigued and exhausted in a long time.

Bruce
Old 08-04-2006, 02:13 PM

Jacks are a tough hand to play well for many people. I think there are clearly 2 ways to play it, each with its own merits.

1. 3x Re-raise: You stand a good chance of isolating UTG, you have an easy decision if you get reraised, and you'll have position throughout the hand unless button tags along. Of course, if the flop comes with an A/K/Q, you are going to need to try your best to control the pot and not spew.

2. Call: You can expect SB and BB to come along, and as such are pretty much relegated to playing JJ for set value. The good news is that if you do hit, you are probably going to make some $$$.

I think either are reasonable plays in this spot.