Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM

Default Re: What is the definition of a donkey? A donk bet?

A donkbet doesn't necesarrily depend on the quality of the player. It simply refers to betting in to the PFR. In no-limit, it further means betting the minimum in to the PFR.

Donk = fish = bad players.

To the poster who feels that berating another player's decisions is bad: I agree. Beraters suck.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A donkbet doesn't necesarrily depend on the quality of the player. It simply refers to betting in to the PFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is betting into the PFR a poor, weak, or unskilled move?
Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 PM

Don't forget, when you lead into the pfr it is called a stop-n-go. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-31-2006, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A donkbet doesn't necesarrily depend on the quality of the player. It simply refers to betting in to the PFR.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is betting into the PFR a poor, weak, or unskilled move?

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't always a bad move.

People assume the pfr will bet the flop so you can check/raise him if you have a good hand or slowplay if you have a really good hand. Betting into the pfr gives him more information with which to play his hand, while denying you information with which to play your hand.

And you can donk the turn and river too (not just the flop).

flop: check, pfr bets, call.
turn: bet...
Old 07-31-2006, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget, when you lead into the pfr it is called a stop-n-go. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

No a stop & go is when you bet, someone raises behind you and you call. Then on the next street you bet again. You stopped, and then you go-ed. Slightly different. In a donkbet, the donkbettor wasn't the aggressor PF (typically). We're getting close to splitting hairs here, tho.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:33 PM

THIS is a Donkey
Old 07-31-2006, 06:37 PM

And This is a Monkey.
from whose comes the famous expression "playing like a monkey"
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok I'm kinda new to poker. Last august when I was out in Vegas I started playing and (after losing $$$) I started playing online and tightening up my game a bit. I play better but still not great.

However the one annoyance I've developed is when "good" players get all pissed off at how somebody else plays. Especially when someone makes a move that they really shouldn't have and end up winning. Hence a donk, short for donkey, which is an ass.

I just want to say to anyone who fits this description, I want to remind you --->> YOU ARE GAMBLING.

If you try to bluff out the person behind you, and they end up calling because they don't know any better then don't get pissed at the person who made what you considered a bad call. The only ass at the table is the one who assumed the other player is going to "play good poker".

I remember sitting at a NL100 table and called a 2-5 pre-flop and managed to pull a straight. On board were the cards for my straight, and this guy pulled trips and bet pretty heavily on the river. I called. He got all pissed off because he somehow assumed I would have folded a 2-5o so he didn't think I had the straight. He ended up making a bunch of snide comments about how he always calls with a 2-5 and such.

Anyhow... if you're out there. F-U.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree... Your money, you can play whatever cards you want. There will always be people commenting on your play and saying things when you give them a bad beat or a beat in general..

Oh well... Its Poker