Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 09:53 PM

Default What is the definition of a donkey? A donk bet?

I have seen these term used in my posts (apparently I am one) and wanted to clarify what I think it means. I did a search and haven't found a solid definition for the terms yet though I have found their use to be all over the place.

My assumption is that it means a move that isn't considered in line with established protocols of proper play?
Old 07-29-2006, 11:10 PM

Default Re: What is the definition of a donkey? A donk bet?

A donk bet is when a donkey bets into you after you shown aggresion on the previous street
Old 07-30-2006, 07:06 AM

A donkey is a term to describe weak player.

A donkbet is when someone bets into an opponent after just calling on the previous street.

IE Player A raises from the button, Player B calls from the big blind, and then immediately bets out on the flop. It's called a donkbet because weak players often make moves like that, but there is nothing inherently wrong with doing it.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 AM

Old 07-30-2006, 11:49 AM

As far as I understand it, there is a distinction between just a fish and a donkey.

A fish is a player who hasnīt learned the rules properly yet or does not know exactly what he/she should do in certain situations.

A donkey in his turn knows the rules and how to play, but often makes unpredicted moves that can make any pro crazy.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:23 PM

Ok I'm kinda new to poker. Last august when I was out in Vegas I started playing and (after losing $$$) I started playing online and tightening up my game a bit. I play better but still not great.

However the one annoyance I've developed is when "good" players get all pissed off at how somebody else plays. Especially when someone makes a move that they really shouldn't have and end up winning. Hence a donk, short for donkey, which is an ass.

I just want to say to anyone who fits this description, I want to remind you --->> YOU ARE GAMBLING.

If you try to bluff out the person behind you, and they end up calling because they don't know any better then don't get pissed at the person who made what you considered a bad call. The only ass at the table is the one who assumed the other player is going to "play good poker".

I remember sitting at a NL100 table and called a 2-5 pre-flop and managed to pull a straight. On board were the cards for my straight, and this guy pulled trips and bet pretty heavily on the river. I called. He got all pissed off because he somehow assumed I would have folded a 2-5o so he didn't think I had the straight. He ended up making a bunch of snide comments about how he always calls with a 2-5 and such.

Anyhow... if you're out there. F-U.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:24 PM

I hate the terms "donkey" or "fish"....I hate them - and I'll never use them. Saying someone is a "beginning player" or a "weak player" or that a particular bet wasn't a "standard" play or whatnot....i have no problem with that kind of critique....but to simply label someone a "donkey" or a "fish" seems to end debate on a particular player or play.

Plus - I don't personally KNOW anyone on this board....so I don't really trust anyone's judgment when they say they were playing against a "donkey" or a "fish"....sometimes I think "donkeys" and "fish" themselves just like to label other people as "donkeys" and "fish" so as to justify a losing session or to make themselves feel better or something.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

A donkbet is when someone bets into an opponent after just calling on the previous street.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it called a donkbet in NL as well as in Limit?

I always had the impression that it was more a Limit Holdem thing, because check raising the most likely bettor is such an automatic play in LHE.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the terms "donkey" or "fish"....I hate them - and I'll never use them. Saying someone is a "beginning player" or a "weak player" or that a particular bet wasn't a "standard" play or whatnot....i have no problem with that kind of critique....but to simply label someone a "donkey" or a "fish" seems to end debate on a particular player or play.

Plus - I don't personally KNOW anyone on this board....so I don't really trust anyone's judgment when they say they were playing against a "donkey" or a "fish"....sometimes I think "donkeys" and "fish" themselves just like to label other people as "donkeys" and "fish" so as to justify a losing session or to make themselves feel better or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

easy there turbo, it's just lingo. who wants to say, "shucks, i got busted by a beginning player, he made a rather weak play"?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 AM

ehh....i guess maybe you have me there....