Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Howard Stern read my e-mail on the air this morning

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I must be missing something. Why would you choose to express your political views to Howard Stern? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?...Oh lemme guess cause only hookers and strippers and farters goes on Stern..right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, yeah. I don't listen/watch so I don't know beyond a few times I've caught brief parts of it. Does he do political commentary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't listened to Stern in three years or so, but his political commmentary by and large used to center around his FCC troubles and people who have a grudge against him. It was usually pretty decent, if repetitive, on those subjects, but decidedly third rate on anything else. Perhaps Stern has changed in the last few years, but he didn't use to be a very deep or perceptive thinker on politics. You'd get just as much insight out of listening to him on politics as you would get from the average semi-literate 8th grader.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I literally *never* listen to AM or FM any more. I'm in my car over an hour a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Plus, I bought a home docking setup so when I take the radio out of the car (plug and play), I bring it in, set it on the home stereo and listen to it inside. Listening to NPR talk as I type this.

Once you have it you won't go back.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I must be missing something. Why would you choose to express your political views to Howard Stern? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?...Oh lemme guess cause only hookers and strippers and farters goes on Stern..right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess, yeah. I don't listen/watch so I don't know beyond a few times I've caught brief parts of it. Does he do political commentary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't listened to Stern in three years or so, but his political commmentary by and large used to center around his FCC troubles and people who have a grudge against him. It was usually pretty decent, if repetitive, on those subjects, but decidedly third rate on anything else. Perhaps Stern has changed in the last few years, but he didn't use to be a very deep or perceptive thinker on politics. You'd get just as much insight out of listening to him on politics as you would get from the average semi-literate 8th grader.

[/ QUOTE ]

He does talk politics more now than he used to, but it isn't a central piece of his show. There is so much going on right now, it would be hard to not talk about the news. But all he does is give opinions, as does everyone else on the show. I don't know why someone would expect to pick up any 'political insight' listening to him. It's an entertainment show, not a news show. The political insight channels are a few stations over. That's the cool thing about Sirius. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On Wednesday, Howard discussed the Joe Lieberman/Ned Lamont Democratic Senatorial primary and his past problems with Lieberman. I sent in the following e-mail:

Just to clarify, Ned Lamont is far from a single-issue candidate in opposition to Joe Lieberman. Not only has Lieberman supported the war, he also questioned the patriotism of people opposed to the war, and claimed that they emboldened the "enemy" and even that people who criticized the President were unpatriotic.

He also recently said that hospitals in Connecticut shouldn't be required to supply emergency contraceptives to rape victims because "In Connecticut, it shouldn't take more than a short ride to get to another hospital."

He also was one of the members of the Senate who headed up the impeachment drive against President Clinton. He's a Democrat in name only. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Lieberman and he needs to go.

Anyway, about a half hour into today's show Howard read my e-mail on the air. He stammered over some parts and seemed to misunderstand the "single issue" I was referring to (support for the war in Iraq as opposed to opposition to Stern). Still, I thought this was pretty cool.

Did anyone hear this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who 'dis?

Who 'dis?

Who 'dis?

Congrats man. Cool you actually got to hear it too!
Old 07-30-2006, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone hear this?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I remember this. IIRC, he messed up the word "emboldened", right? If it's the one I'm thinking of, he read it but didn't seem to get it or even really respond to it. I didn't get it either, pretty much because of how he read it.