Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Re: Avoiding Speeding Tickets on the Open Highway

thanks, great article.

checking my 6 is going to be tough though with my hatchback filled with clothes, camping gear, and fishing gear.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM

I recently drove from Lexington, KY, to Fort Myers, FL, prolly about 1,000 miles give or take...I generally just try to flow with the traffic and not be passing or changing lanes unnecessarily, if I see someone going at a good rate I'll try to follow them, never going above 90.

15 minutes from my destination, I'm driving along in some mild traffic, minding my own business, looking for my exit, when I encounter a FLEET of cops parked under an overpass. I'm not concerned of course, because all the traffic slowed down to speed limit or less well before I got to them...

I get pulled over, as do 2 others. AIRPLANE got us going 84 in a 70, SHIP IT. GG cops. Way to fight crime.

This following the BS ticket I got in Clearwater on Spring Break for doing 53 in a 35 (8-lane highway through Clearwater, no traffic at the time, I didn't realize it was a 35, obviously).

Luckily I found an attorney who's friendly with some judges and clerks and I'm gonna get off w/ traffic school again.

I guess the moral of the story is: don't speed in Florida. At least not without some detection technology you're pretty confident in (I don't have any).
Old 07-28-2006, 05:30 PM

Just use good judgment and instincts. I can smell a cop's speed trap spot from a at least mile away.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stranger -

Watch out for a speed trap near Eugene (Coburg) - one of worst on I-5 in Oregon.

Once I-5 goes 55 around Tualatin be careful again until you hit 84 and leave Portland.

In Oregon (prolly standard) there is a big difference in ticket amount at 19MPH over limit vs 20+MPH over limit.

I've made good time in Southern Oregon and again on 84 to Eastern Oregon. I wouldn't recommend going 75 in a 55 on I5 in Portland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely watch out near Coburg. In fact, I'd be pretty cautious from Eugene up to Portland. I've driven from Eugene to Spokane or Tri Cities (I-84, right?) probably a dozen times and I don't know if I've ever seen more than a handful of cops total. My advice to you along the gorge would be to stay about 1/4 of a mile behind someone else going 80-90. Thats what everyone I know does along the gorge and I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over. The cops will always get that first guy if you're far enough behind him. Other than that, I'd just watch out on I-5 in general.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd just watch out on I-5 in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

By watch out, do you mean 65 means 65 and 55 means 55, or do you get a 5-7 mph cushion?
Old 07-28-2006, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't know about you, but i've been on long road trips, and trimming off 3 hours of the end of the ride is WELL worth the small chance of a $100 ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where in the US do they still give $100 speeding tickets? Going 25mph over the speed limit will probably be a $300+ ticket and some jail time if you are a white jew driving a lexus in kentucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] kentucky. i hate you. what the hell is reckless driving anyways.
Old 07-28-2006, 08:49 PM

$234 ticket for 83 in a 70 in Louisiana... I hate that [censored].
Old 07-28-2006, 09:17 PM

I have been pulled over 4 times for speeding. I have been issued 1 ticket. The advice issued here (some ads NSFW) has been pretty useful.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd just watch out on I-5 in general.

[/ QUOTE ]

By watch out, do you mean 65 means 65 and 55 means 55, or do you get a 5-7 mph cushion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say a 5 mph cushion is fine, especially if there are a lot of other cars around you. If there is nobody in sight, I don't think I'd go more than 5 over. Oregon highway patrol are dicks.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:45 PM

Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Most speeders will panic and immediately pull over to the side of the road. This is wrong. It rouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow.