Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM

Default Avoiding Speeding Tickets on the Open Highway

As I mentioned in my car stereo post, in about a week and a half, I'll be going on a 3,200 mile roadtrip.

I'll be leaving Los Angeles at about 4PM on a Wednesday, headed straight up I-5 to pick up my buddy in Oakland, OR. Then he'll take over the driving while I rest, up to Portland, across I-84, the Columbia River Gorge, to I-82 to US-395 up to Spokane, WA. I'm not sure what route I'll take from there, but my motel reservations for Thursday night are in Kalispell, MT.

Okay, so making time is a priority. I have a quick, well-handling car (Acura RSX), but Oregon Highway Patrol is notorious for enforcing their speed limits strictly, and I think I should be able to go 90 in a 65 and about 75 in a 55.

So here's my question. Do any of you have experience using radar detectors? Do they work pretty well?

I'll also be bringing a hand-held CB to get bear reports from the truckers.

Also, if anyone here has experience driving that route, where are the major speed traps to look out for?

I've done road-trips before, and understand the importance of going 25 in a 25 driving through small towns.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Avoiding Speeding Tickets on the Open Highway

9 over or less and theres no problem. you'll only increase trip duration but a small %.

or you can get something like this:

understand that all radar/laser detectors are 100% useless against laser. as a result, you will only have radar protetion and will not be able to avoid tickets if you speed in states that commonly clock with laser

my understanding is that you can buy laser jammers that are somewhat effective but they are extremely expensive
Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 PM

just took a 600 mile round trip last weekend...

any time that there's places for cops to sit in the middle, i'm usually do 15 over the limit.

any time you're on a freeway with 3-4 lanes, and nowhere for a cop to sit and get you, i'm doing 25+ over...

it's all about staying vigilant. i only had one close call last weekend, when i passed two cops (talking to each other, which probably saved me) doing 80 in a 65...

just remember, in a 12+ hour drive, every 5 mph you go faster, you get there an hour earlier...push it when there's less of a chance of getting clocked, ease back to maybe 12-15 mph over when there's more of a chance.

and obviously, when you get within an hour of your destination, slow down. you're risking a ticket for getting there 5 minutes earlier...once you're that close, the time-saved is not worth the risk..
Old 07-28-2006, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
obviously, when you get within an hour of your destination, slow down. you're risking a ticket for getting there 5 minutes earlier...once you're that close, the time-saved is not worth the risk..

[/ QUOTE ]

Surely you see why this doesn't make any sense.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:17 PM

Wtf, Stranger? Aren't you a trucker? You're asking oot for advice on avoiding speeding tickets? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2006, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
9 over or less and theres no problem. you'll only increase trip duration but a small %.

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely not true.

if you're going 75 mph for 20+ hours, and i'm going 85 mph for the same time, i'm gonna get there many hours before you will...

he's going 1,800 miles both ways. if he averages 75, it'll take him 24 hours one way. if he averages 85, he'll get there in about 21 hours...and every 5 mph above that, another hour is taken off...

i don't know about you, but i've been on long road trips, and trimming off 3 hours of the end of the ride is WELL worth the small chance of a $100 ticket.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wtf, Stranger? Aren't you a trucker? You're asking oot for advice on avoiding speeding tickets? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive local routes in Los Angeles. I couldn't speed if I wanted to.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
obviously, when you get within an hour of your destination, slow down. you're risking a ticket for getting there 5 minutes earlier...once you're that close, the time-saved is not worth the risk..

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh...no?

driving 90 mph instead of 75 miles per hour over the last hour will only save you 10-15 minutes. now, over the course of the whole trip, you can save hours, but when you're already within a few minutes of getting there, i usually slow down.

it's the whole, 'i just averaged 90 mph over 15 hours, and didn't get caught, so maybe i shouldn't press my luck..' thinking..
Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I drive local routes in Los Angeles. I couldn't speed if I wanted to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, fair enough. Carry on then.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh...no?

driving 90 mph instead of 75 miles per hour over the last hour will only save you 10-15 minutes. now, over the course of the whole trip, you can save hours, but when you're already within a few minutes of getting there, i usually slow down.

it's the whole, 'i just averaged 90 mph over 15 hours, and didn't get caught, so maybe i shouldn't press my luck..' thinking..

[/ QUOTE ]

But the laws of fate that determine whether you'll get a ticket don't know the difference between the first hour and the last hour.