Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Re: If everyone plays super tight, no one can win.

Bluffthis - you may be joking, but your post is spot on.
Old 01-20-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It really is that simple. .

"A punch is just a punch. A kick is just a kick."

[/ QUOTE ]

And a football in the groin is just a ten minute time-out on the sidelines!
Old 01-20-2006, 08:28 PM

what he says is true---if there was such a table---if everyone played the same way then we wouldnt make any money---good players dont play poker to play with other good players (general though)---we play to play with fish and they dont know how to play..
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
POTY

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure we can call it so early in the year ... Thundercat may come back and trump it.

It is certainly worthy of candidacy though.

mj

[ QUOTE ]

btw, while this post is incredibly amusing--mostly because of how breif it is--this guy does not have anything on thudercat. i mean, TC is able to make amusing posts on a variety of topics in multiple subforums.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys talking about me? Shnarf = A thundercat...

is there someone just named Thundercat?

If you ARE talking about me - then ...Wow. Thanks.

I had *no* idea.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean after someone opens for a raise, you only play AA-QQ, AK. Youll open yourself with more hands,when you open, you have the vig of taking out the blinds. And theres some post flop play, but its not that complicated. Far less complicated than most of you believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok guys it's done, poker's been solved. Shut down the forums, it's essentially tic tac toe now.
Old 01-22-2006, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok guys it's done, poker's been solved. Shut down the forums, it's essentially tic tac toe now.

[/ QUOTE ]
But that means a new book by Sklansky! And new forums! Think positive, dude! Look at the potential! Hell, I'm already working on how you could multi-table a 6-layer game!

<ul type="square"> [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img][/list]
Old 01-22-2006, 01:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
POTY

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure we can call it so early in the year ... Thundercat may come back and trump it.

It is certainly worthy of candidacy though.

mj

[ QUOTE ]

btw, while this post is incredibly amusing--mostly because of how breif it is--this guy does not have anything on thudercat. i mean, TC is able to make amusing posts on a variety of topics in multiple subforums.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys talking about me? Shnarf = A thundercat...

is there someone just named Thundercat?

If you ARE talking about me - then ...Wow. Thanks.

I had *no* idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not you, there is a guy named Thundercat on here who contributes a large amount of mindnumbingly worthless threads usually in the wrong forum. Then when somebody flames him for it he proceeds to write essays on getting bullied as a child and how 2+2 is out to "get him" etc.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:08 PM

I am going to take this seriously, and I am going to tell you a story.

I play a NL cash game every week with the same players. There is a guy I will call 'Dave', because his name is Dave. He plays those exact hands with the inclusion of JJ. He always raises 5xBB. One would expect that everyone would fold, knowing what he has. The exact opposite happens, almost everyone calls when he opens a pot in early position.

The problem with being super tight against observant opponents is that they know you almost have to back those hands with your whole stack if you are going to make a profit. With 100BB stacks it is profitable to play for a low set or a junky two pair because you have great implied odds.

In a year of playing Dave never won. In his eyes he was the victim of horrible suckout after horrible suckout. In reality he was so transparent that he was giving his opponent's 20 to 1 on their preflop call.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with that idea of AA, KK, QQ, and AK making you a winner. If you follow that, you're playing approx. 2.55% of hands dealt to you (about 1 in 40), and paying blinds for 15% of hands dealt to you(1bb + 1/2sb). Even if your opponents DON'T know what you're doing, they'll be able to tell that you're incredibly tight, and either fold preflop, quickly preventing you from getting your +6bb to cover your expenses (1.5bb/round, 4rounds/hand played), or else clean you out when they decide to take a flop and hit it better than you (set, straight, flush, twopair, or even just a pair against your AK that misses).

Therefore, I conclude that poker is not "bs." Perhaps you didn't think about your comment thouroughly before wasting thread space.

As for your heading "if everyone plays tight, no one can win," that's true. If everyone at the table plays as tight as you've suggested, most of the time, the blinds will just rotate until somebody picks up a good hand. However, a loose aggressive opponent (or even somebody who doesn't know how to play poker, but was instructed to raise preflop every hand, and fold to resistance) would rake in the winnings. The fact is, your suggestion is TOO tight to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, welcome to the forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awww... thanx. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]