Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 05:28 PM

Default Re: PPT- Corkins AK call

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hoyt's not a very good player.
i was extremely happy to see him get one-outed by juanda, finally a taste of his own medicine.
if you've watched his TV appearances the last couple of years, u'll see him get a very large amount of chips in with the worst hand again and again ang again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I felt like I knew exactly how he played from a few select hands on TV, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

people commonly say this when other people judge someone after seeing them play briefly in 1 or 2 televised situations.
hoyt has been on TV many times, and we've seen him play a lot of hands in a lot of different situations.

i would bet you any amount of money that if u polled 50 top professionals and asked them whether the amount of times we've seen hoyt on TV is a big enough sample for us to make a judgement on his play, they would nearly all say yes.

i know u wanted to sound smart, and u did see other people use this argument in the past and be right so u figured u had a good shot to look smart, but u'll have to give it another shot. keep ur chin up tho, it'll work one day im sure.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:09 PM

I thought the worst call was when he called Bigler's shove with 33. It's a flip or he's dominated and they were both deep.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:19 PM

I'm not defending Corkins' play--I think he's wreckless at best--but the fact that we have seen him on TV so many times must say something about what he's doing. Unless of course, he just enters so many tournaments that eventually he'll luckbox onto TV.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:01 PM

I think the AK call was standard vs Juanda
The KJ laydown was suprising against Bigler
The 33 call was even more suprising
The J6o call was Standard and suprised me Seif said to lay it down as he's getting 2 1/2:1 on his money as a 3:2 dog
Old 07-28-2006, 12:24 AM

Obviously Hoyt has to be a very good tourney player, he makes it deep into big talented fields and cashes big frequently...

but for the life of me, EVERY TIME I see him on TV I am nothing but unimpressed by his play.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 AM

I couldn't tell if Jen opened for a raise or just a call, but either way, Hoyt's move was bad... it just depends how bad. Afer two players have come into a pot, Juanda makes a big raise--against two early position players, that's a big sign of strength. With two players having limped in, it's entirely possible that at LEAST one ace or king is dead, and the best he can probably hope is that he has Juanda tied--otherwise, he's a 3-to-2 dog at best if he has a few dead cards out there. Why you'd want to get involved for all your chips with AK right there is beyond me when he could have just smooth called and probably got the pot heads up anyway (from what I remember Juanda made a fairly sizable raise).

But he had to know that if he got called, he'd have worse than a 50-50, because I'd assume either Jen or Bigler (if not both) have some of my outs. He's lucky he had 5 outs instead of 4, or even fewer.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:24 AM

This is a freeroll so maybe Hoyt is going for it all here and taking a 50/50 shot. Hoyt may have figured why Juanda would go all in if he had KK or AA and not make a smaller raise instead. I don't know what Juanda's stack was relative to the raise, but if he had a lot of chips it might have looked like he wanted to take the pot down right there. Hoyt then calls knowing he's a coinflip to either get a huge chipstack or lose a lot of chips to Juanda but still be in decent shape.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:03 AM

IMHO the AK call wasn't bad. Juanda's known to be very aggressive preflop and his range is a lot wider than many people are suggesting.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously Hoyt has to be a very good tourney player, he makes it deep into big talented fields and cashes big frequently...

but for the life of me, EVERY TIME I see him on TV I am nothing but unimpressed by his play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why does he need to be a good player because he make it deep into some televised tournaments?
The playerfields aren't large and to my knowledge he plays most of the bigger tourneys.
If you're lucky and have guts to gamble you're bound to hit sooner or later (or several times such as Goehring/Corkins as example)

Speaking of Goehring, his 44 allin play vs a rock who raise early was truly horrendous.

Judging from what Mark Seif says in his commentaries so far I'm inclined to think he's not much of a true player either..
Old 07-29-2006, 01:04 AM

If my math is right (which it may not be as I'm doing this from memory), Hoyt is getting about 1.5-to-1 on the call. If Juanda's range is as tight as JJ+, AKs, AKo, it is a very slightly -cEV call. Juanda's range is definitely looser than that in this spot, so Hoyt's call a good one.

Hand 1: 39.7855 % 23.66% 16.13% { AKo }
Hand 2: 60.2145 % 44.09% 16.13% { JJ+, AKs, AKo }

Hand 1: 49.1747 % 38.86% 10.32% { AKo }
Hand 2: 50.8253 % 40.51% 10.32% { TT+, AQs+, AQo+ }