Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2006, 10:26 AM

Default PPT- Corkins AK call

On last night's PPT, I am unsure as to the uproar on the following hand:
I believe Jen Harmon opened UTG with As-6s. Bigler calls with Qd-9d. Juanda moves all in with Q-Q and Hoyt calls all in with AK.

Juanda seemed in disbelief that Hoyt would do that. Not being familiar with advanced tournament thinking, can someone more experienced enlighten me as to the pros and cons of Hoyt's call? Thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 10:36 AM

Default Re: PPT- Corkins AK call

Only thing I can think off that would trigger hoyt to call was that juanda might have been trying to make a squeeze play there. He also had already once moved all in against harman after harman raised.

I was just suprised how fast hoyt called.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:03 PM

I'm sure he thought Juanda was squeezing. And Hoyt's a gambler, so maybe he was willing to take a race against the best (or second best) player at the table.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 PM

Hoyte's call a few hands later was much worse. After Juanda crippled him on that hand by spiking the case Q on the River, Hoyte decided to gamble the very next hand with some junk out of the SB.

He won that hand and got back to a semi reasonable stack and on the very next hand called an all-in from the button with A3o and was dominated by A8o. I thought this was a real bad call.

I could see being first in with A3o but calling with it as a short stack looked like an amateur play I see from Pokerstar's donks almost every night.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:51 PM

The call from the SB (w/ J6, IIRC) was actually a good call, since he was getting 2.5 to 1 and figured to have 2 live cards. In fact, I was surprised it took him so long. It seems he should call there w/ almost any 2 cards.

On the other hand, I agree that the call w/ the A3 was weak. At best, he's a slight favorite vs. Kx or a slight dog vs. 22. The other 90% of the time he's at least a 2 to 1 dog, if not worse.

Overall, Hoyt didn't really seem to be on his game toward the end. I think he may have still been tilting from the Juanda hand and/or the hand when Bigler sucked out w/ the Ace on the river.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The call from the SB (w/ J6, IIRC) was actually a good call, since he was getting 2.5 to 1 and figured to have 2 live cards. In fact, I was surprised it took him so long. It seems he should call there w/ almost any 2 cards.

On the other hand, I agree that the call w/ the A3 was weak. At best, he's a slight favorite vs. Kx or a slight dog vs. 22. The other 90% of the time he's at least a 2 to 1 dog, if not worse.

Overall, Hoyt didn't really seem to be on his game toward the end. I think he may have still been tilting from the Juanda hand and/or the hand when Bigler sucked out w/ the Ace on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just so we're clear I didn't have a problem with the J6 SB call as he was so short he had to gamble. But after winning this hand he had some chips that gave him FE so I hated the A3o call. You could see from his body language that he had lost his patience.

I think after hitting the flop on the AK v QQ hand with Juanda and hearing one of the other players say they had a queen he was absolutely stunned with the case queen spiked the River and he hadn't recovered yet.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:22 PM

I don't know the stack sizes, so my analysis could be way off...

Juanda could've sensed weakness in Harman and Bigler (and we know they were weak), and would've moved in with almost anything here. Sensing the same weakness and knowing Juanda could pull a move like this, Hoyt's call with AK doesn't seem like such a bad play.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:31 PM

hoyt's not a very good player.
i was extremely happy to see him get one-outed by juanda, finally a taste of his own medicine.
if you've watched his TV appearances the last couple of years, u'll see him get a very large amount of chips in with the worst hand again and again ang again.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i was extremely happy to see him get one-outed by juanda, finally a taste of his own medicine.
if you've watched his TV appearances the last couple of years, u'll see him get a very large amount of chips in with the worst hand again and again ang again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it. He did it to me. All-in preflop. Me: QQ
Hoyte: 47s. I wasn't short stacked either.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I felt like I knew exactly how he played from a few select hands on TV, too.