Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Default Re: 2/4 QTo against 1 limper

[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstove says QTo has 48.5% equity against the top 50% of hands. Add in our good position, aggressive play, and weak opponent, and I'm still liking a raise here (especially if we have a good image at the table).

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't forget - you're not against the top 50% of hands here. Once you take out the 3% he raises with, you are against a range that consists of the 4%-50% hands. This means that AA, KK, QQ and a couple others get taken out of the mix.

This should easily turn that 48.5% equity into a number that is over 50%.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pokerstove says QTo has 48.5% equity against the top 50% of hands. Add in our good position, aggressive play, and weak opponent, and I'm still liking a raise here (especially if we have a good image at the table).

[/ QUOTE ]

But don't forget - you're not against the top 50% of hands here. Once you take out the 3% he raises with, you are against a range that consists of the 4%-50% hands. This means that AA, KK, QQ and a couple others get taken out of the mix.

This should easily turn that 48.5% equity into a number that is over 50%.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was interested in seeing this, thanks guys. As others have already mentioned, we aren't raising here just for our equity, but to take the pot later when no one hits, see cards cheaply, etc. The poster questioning the raise shouldn't be bogged down in the equity in this situation, but rather look at how the hand will be played postflop.

Also, I think this is an easy river bet. I have the tendency to be a little weak on the river when I have kicker trouble, but here we don't--we're chopping. If he shows us an A or 3, so be it, we'll see a 7 or pocket pair much more often IMHO.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:02 PM

Actually, once you remove his top 3% of hands he raises with (AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AKo, AKs), pokerstove has the equity right about 50-50. So raisy daisy!