Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2006, 05:23 PM

Default Re: Misplayed JJ? Flopped fullhouse

[ QUOTE ]
I think if he's going to raise the turn, raise it initially, but not wake up and 3 bet the checkraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think his slowplay was that bad. he just happened to get unlucky to someone who paid 2BBs to hit his 2 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be image dependent. I tend to play a lot of flops fast, so this is exactly the kind of flop I like to play fast because I know I'll get action. If this guy is pretty passive on the flop, it would look a little shady for him to suddenly wake up here. And definitely a check/3-bet isn't the way to go unless you really have some crazy image of bluff-raises on 4th street.

[ QUOTE ]
The QQ won the hand, but lost quite a bit longterm in the process to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:31 PM

[quote
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think his slowplay was that bad. he just happened to get unlucky to someone who paid 2BBs to hit his 2 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be image dependent. I tend to play a lot of flops fast, so this is exactly the kind of flop I like to play fast because I know I'll get action. If this guy is pretty passive on the flop, it would look a little shady for him to suddenly wake up here. And definitely a check/3-bet isn't the way to go unless you really have some crazy image of bluff-raises on 4th street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like raising the flop, too. Since I could be raising it with AA, KK, QQ, AKs-AJs. A passive player would still likely raise it with an overpair before he goes into his calldown shell if 3 bet on the flop.

They aren't going to put you on a boat that quick. Especially since he capped preflop. This actually disguises his hand a little. So on the flop, he might've been able to lose a BB more.

b
Old 07-21-2006, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises UTG with JJ.
UTG+1 coldcalls.
SB calls.
BB 3 bets (no notes)
I cap hoping to get the coldcallers out, everyone calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way you're getting coldcallers out. Maybe if they just limped initially, but not after they've just put 2 bets in. Consider it a value raise, though you're likely behind the BB. If BB had 3 bet from LP after 2 coldcallers, your cap would likely have more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would just have called the three-bet with a vulnerable hand like JJ. One advantage of doing this is that if BB is the type to bet out with overcards into three players on a raggedy flop, we can raise it right there, putting pressure on the others to fold here (or on the turn if another rag falls). If instead we cap PF, BB will usually check it to us.
Old 07-21-2006, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero raises UTG with JJ.
UTG+1 coldcalls.
SB calls.
BB 3 bets (no notes)

[/ QUOTE ]

No way you're getting coldcallers out. Maybe if they just limped initially, but not after they've just put 2 bets in. Consider it a value raise, though you're likely behind the BB. If BB had 3 bet from LP after 2 coldcallers, your cap would likely have more value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I would just have called the three-bet with a vulnerable hand like JJ. One advantage of doing this is that if BB is the type to bet out with overcards into three players on a raggedy flop, we can raise it right there, putting pressure on the others to fold here (or on the turn if another rag falls). If instead we cap PF, BB will usually check it to us.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

I'm also wary of a 3 bet out of the blinds.

b
Old 07-21-2006, 06:09 PM

I think that's indeed the point Amulet was making. You 3-bet the turn to get more money into the pot with a monster, not because you're worried about the unlikely parlay of somebody having a bigger pair and then hitting it on the river.
Old 07-21-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they cold-called two bets while the pot was small, surely they aren't going to fold when the pot is laying them much better odds.