Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 02:59 AM

Default Misplayed JJ? Flopped fullhouse

I didn't get the hand history on this one but this is how it went.

Hero raises UTG with JJ.
UTG+1 coldcalls.
SB calls.
BB 3 bets (no notes)
I cap hoping to get the coldcallers out, everyone calls.

Flop:
Js 5h 5s

BB leads out, I smooth call with intention of keeping everyone in as long as possible and raising on river. UTG+1 folds, SB calls.

Turn:
6s (3 to a flush)

BB bets, I call, SB check raises. Everyone calls.(I put SB on flush, BB with overpair maybe KK or AA, possible nutflush draw)

River Q. (non spade). SB bets, BB reraises. I think "AQ possible with A of spades. Nah, he was CRed on turn when flush card hit, also pair on board."

I make a crying call for 2 big bets on river with my 2nd top FH, SB calls. BB shows red QQ and wins 21BB sized pot.

My question is: should I have reraised turn to increase my chance in winning the pot? It would have been hard for red QQ to make a call in that spot after a CR and RR.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:02 AM

Default Re: Misplayed JJ? Flopped fullhouse

i would 3-bet the turn simply hoping the sb will overplay a flush and cap it but you might get enough bets otr with bb inbetween if he didn't get there so i don't mind how you played it.
Old 07-19-2006, 03:39 AM

easy turn 3 bet
Old 07-19-2006, 05:12 AM

Preflop: I would just call the 3bet. If BB is maniacal enough to 3bet with hands that JJ has in tough shape, you probably would have noticed by now. I don't think your opponents are likely to fold to your cap either. If they were going to call 2 bets before when there was relatively little money in the pot, they're definitely going to call 2 bets this time around when there is a lot of money in the pot.

Flop: I normally don't like slowlplaying in big pots, but I think you made a nice decision here. I think it's better to just call because A) the pot is so huge that your opponents are likely to take one off with nearly anything, but they might still fold their crappiest hands for 2bets B) Your opponents might catch something they are willing to call down with, and C) There is almost no chance you'll get sucked out on.

Turn: I think you should pop it after the BB bets. By not raising your are giving up mucho value. Your hand is best here, and the board is now such that your raise will get called by hands containing lone, high [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]s, and a flush will likely jamb the pot with you. Furthermore, the pot is so huge that hands like AA-QQ aren't going to fold here to your raise. The point of raising isn't to knock people out here, the point of raising is to get as much money in with the best hand as you possibly can.

River: I would 3bet here. Yeah, it turns out you were behind, but your hand is so strong and the only 2 hands that beat you are so unlikely (especially 55) that I think doing anything but raising is weak here. There may be an arguement for flat calling so as to encourage SB to call with a worse hand, but not because you think you are behind.

Just my opinion...
Old 07-19-2006, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
easy turn 3 bet

[/ QUOTE ]

If your reads are correct, three betting the turn once it checks around was the best way to extract value. SB often caps, and BB is often brought along with the flush draw.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:39 AM

Gas the turn.... if someone has a big spade they are not going to pay 3-bets on the river... but they will pay here. And hopefully you get 4-bet.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:04 AM

not raising the flop is a mistake. you cost yourself a lot of bets there, that would have carried through the turn. flushes would have coldcalled and you would have gotten a raise out of them on this turn.

i would fold the river, unless i had reason to believe bb just escaped a mental ward. anyone with any inch of sanity puts sb on a flush here. your only hope is AKs that took an extremely strange line. ths call can't be justifed with saying 'he might have AA KK blah blah' the dude has QQ everytime.
Old 07-20-2006, 01:25 PM

Raise and cap the turn because your plan worked -- you allowed the flush draw players to improve to a 2nd best hand and they're definitely going down with the ship. You didn't lose enough money on this hand.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:30 PM

you 3 bet the turn, hopeing one of your opponents has a flush, and the other a big spade, and still calls because the pot is so big despite the board being paired. however, you didn't play it poorly, the guy hit a 2 outter. i think this is more an example of not trying to the the max from a hand, then a blunder that costs you the pot.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:21 PM

Some help on posting hands:

What limits is this?

Online or live? (I'm guessing online since you mentioned the HH, but include this in the future.)

Don't post results, it taints the analysis.

Bad beat stories go in BBV. Ask yourself this question: would you have posted this hand if you weren't shown QQ? Maybe you would have (we all have to learn not to slowplay this turn), but just ask yourself anyway.

The PF/flop/turn play has already been analyzed, but have we talked about the river? Are you putting BB squarely on QQ here? Why? (I'm not saying it's a bad read, I just want your reasoning.) If you're not putting him exactly on QQ, why are you just calling with the 2nd nut hand?

I agree with the above poster: you didn't lose nearly enough here.