Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Could There be Arrests at the WSOP?

lawman...why do you think they let you advertise sites like pokerstars. NET rather than pokerstars.com? There are ways around this that i'm sure their lawyers found a loophole to over come this.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:24 PM

The DOJ is just choosing not to go after TV stations who are airing such ads. They could if they wanted to (although it would be pretty weak if they did).

If the legislation is somehow passed then I suspect they would crack down on such work-around dot-net tv advertising as well.

Kind of like the U.S. ban on cigarette advertising on TV (since 1973 I believe).
Not only can't you promote cigarettes on TV, but you also can't come up with some copy-cat like Marlbara Candy-Canes just to get the brand-name out there.

(which is essentially what the websites are doing with the dot-net ads...just getting the name-brand out there and hoping people go to the dot-com site for real money).
Old 07-19-2006, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like how Lawman has turned into the "Chicken Little" he accused Oliver Tse of being regarding the "death of poker" with his own gloom and doom posts about the banning of online gaming and the chances that people will be arrested at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I propose a title change. Lawman, you ok if we change your Title from "obsessive" to "Chicken Little"?
Old 07-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Priceless. I do not like him.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The DOJ is just choosing not to go after TV stations who are airing such ads. They could if they wanted to (although it would be pretty weak if they did).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, from 2003 (it's from a message board, but the post includes the article): DOJ seizing funds from Discovery for 'Dise ads.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I do not like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I should care because........................? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2006, 09:07 PM

Lawman is probably a libero-anarchist and therefore untrustworthy.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I do not like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I should care because........................? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy, there, thin-skin. I believe he is refering to Dutch Boyd.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Exactly, the Carruthers arrest and the other BetOnSports indictments involve the Wire Act, racketeering and fraud. I'd wager there will be no arrests of anyone that is involved in an operation that does NOT offer sports betting, meaning Stars, UB, FullTilt, Party, etc. between now and the WSOP Main Event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said the exact same thing in this topic...oh wait, I said it in the Lawman's OTHER ARRESTS AT TEH WSOP?!?!?11?!

You only need to make one topic about this at a time Lawman. This isn't as bad as the day HR4411 passed and you made at least 3 about it.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like how Lawman has turned into the "Chicken Little" he accused Oliver Tse of being regarding the "death of poker" with his own gloom and doom posts about the banning of online gaming and the chances that people will be arrested at the WSOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I propose a title change. Lawman, you ok if we change your Title from "obsessive" to "Chicken Little"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what you call me. LOL

However, the guy who called me Chicken Little (because he was incapable of coming up with something of his own) ended up posting that Calvin Ayre has cancelled his conference in Vegas because he is afraid of being arrested there, which provides further support for what I had said to begin with.

I hope I end up being wrong. I really do, but the outlook for online poker looks pretty bleak right now.