Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 02:10 AM

Default Re: oppose H.R. 4411

I have said it both on Pokerstars and in a bar league around here and no one has responded. Despite their constant complaints about the government, people still subconsciously seem to believe that lawmakers are smarter than them and know what they're doing. Most people didn't seem to care in the bar league. They all think it's fixed because they once had an ace-king lose to an ace-ten on the river, or you get the aforementioned "never gonna happen" types.
The most disturbing part is no one sees this as a civil liberties issue. You try to explain why the government should not have the authority to legislate a ban on internet gambling and people end up thinking you have a gambling problem.
Don't let this discourage you so much that you don't keep on trying, though. If you could just get a few people to call their senators, you've done your part. Make sure they understand that it's a really simple process and that you'll most likely be talking to an aide, not the actual senator. Calming them is key. Many people are too nervous to voice their opinion.
I wrote a newspaper column for the company I work for, which will be in a few weekly newspapers in northern New Jersey. It will also be posted on my website, www.satellitewinner.com, when my partner gets a chance to do it. I don't want to post it until it is up on my site, but I'll PM the original poster a copy and anyone else who would like one can PM me. Good luck guys. -Dan