Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2006, 09:12 PM

Default oppose H.R. 4411

I put this for my city when i'm playing on poker stars to create awareness and get some conversations started.
Maybe if we all do this we can get the word out a little more.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:13 PM

Default Re: oppose H.R. 4411

I've typed into about a dozen chatboxes within the last couple days "has anyone written to their senator about the online gambling prohibition bill?" No one has ever responded. I think 2+2ers are the only people who gamble online that even know about it.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've typed into about a dozen chatboxes within the last couple days "has anyone written to their senator about the online gambling prohibition bill?" No one has ever responded. I think 2+2ers are the only people who gamble online that even know about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A friend of mine just moved to Oregon. Before we both moved away from the same town, he invited me to home games and he knew that I played online rather regularly. He mentioned to me earlier this week that we should play some online poker. I responded that we should before it becomes illegal thinking he would know what I was talking about.

He didn't - didn't even know that a bill existed. Of course, I quickly informed him. Many people don't know about this situation or clueless as to what to do about it (if they have seen the commentary on the Daily Show or other random places like that).
Old 07-17-2006, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha every table i sit at and a pot ships to me i type in "CLICK YOUR MOUSE LOSE YOUR HOUSE" ...

only 1 person has laughed so far.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:24 PM

I've brought up the subject on FT and I have gotten responses but they were all along the lines of, "Never gonna happen, so I'm not going to do anything about it." It's nearly impossible to even reason with some of the people that talk like that.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:53 PM

If this does pass, it will be very amusing to see the outrage from the poker community. Especially the "they passed this under our noses" folks, of which there will be many (like your FT players).
Old 07-17-2006, 06:35 PM

Does anyone know which lobbying firm, if any, is handling the opposition to this bill?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this does pass, it will be very amusing to see the outrage from the poker community. Especially the "they passed this under our noses" folks, of which there will be many (like your FT players).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what really pisses me off. People don't pay any attention until it's too late.

Maybe it's better to say something like "hey did anyone see the Daily Show the other day?" That will hopefully get at least some kind of conversation started, then you can drop in the "it couldn't hurt to write to your senators" line.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what really pisses me off. People don't pay any attention until it's too late.

Maybe it's better to say something like "hey did anyone see the Daily Show the other day?" That will hopefully get at least some kind of conversation started, then you can drop in the "it couldn't hurt to write to your senators" line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell people at tables when I get the chance, but usually get a reply saying they can't do that, or that bill will never pass and even if does they can't stop me, for some reason they think our government can't stop them. Seems to be alot of misinformed people online playing.
Old 07-18-2006, 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know which lobbying firm, if any, is handling the opposition to this bill?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask the Poker Player's Alliance - they should know what is going on.