Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 04:11 PM

Default Re: K-Qs calling Ace high flop

Taking a break is a great idea. Sounds to me like you've kinda let the game not be fun. I took a month off and it took me a month to realize that I did let the fun go out of the game. Oh yeah, I've read HOH Vol. 1 TWICE. And I'm reading it again. I like is 100x better than SuperSystem, and I learn something new EVERYTIME.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
* It took me a good minute to make this call... once I thought about Villian 1 limping preflop the possibility of him just having a SC or Small PP really entered my mind and I figured I might still have the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure someone has pointed this out by now, but a small pocket pair beats King high.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:28 PM

Horribly played by the way.

First - If you thought you could float him and take it away, then you should be betting the turn (shouldn't be getting too fancy with this stack size though).

Second - this river bet is not a blocking bet, this is a dark tunnel bluff. A blocking bet is a small bet used to get to showdown cheaply (it's supposed to keep opponent from throwing a big bet out there that you can't call, your bet was not smallish). You should not be wanting to get to showdown cheaply. If you are bluffing (you are), then you should be trying to force him out of the pot (not a good idea here at the river and stack size and board and previous action to this point.....). If you have a hand with showdown value (you don't), then you would throw out a blocking bet for the reason stated above, to get to showdown chealy.

Why would you ever again play a hand this way?
Old 07-07-2006, 05:05 PM

the only way you win this hand is if you check and call the river.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 PM

There are some parts I like in that section and some I hate. One thing I hate is he gives practically no examples on how to adjust your play when going down in levels (except for folding low pairs and connectors in EP and to raises for yellow zones etc...) But what about the other hands? He doesn't say anything about that, I only hope volume 3 has a few problems with this. He does give an example about someone opening a pot from UTG w/ AT saying that player "knows what he's doing." And I think that can be very wrong even if you do not have a "healthy" chip stack. He talked about this in the orange zone where people will just play back at you (you have like 15 big blinds in this spot) and you will have to fold. I learned WAY more from these forums then I did from HOH I or II.