Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 01:58 AM

Default K-Qs calling Ace high flop

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP1 (t2610)
MP2 (t2755)
CO :#A500AF(Villian 1)/ (t3720)
Button (t1640)
Hero (t3925)
BB :#A500AF(Villian 2)/ (t8480)
UTG (t7371)
UTG+1 (t8430)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO :#A500AF(Villian 1)/ calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB :#A500AF(Villian 2)/ checks.

Flop: (t600) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villian 2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian 1 bets t800</font>, Hero calls t800, Villian 2 folds.

* It took me a good minute to make this call... once I thought about Villian 1 limping preflop the possibility of him just having a SC or Small PP really entered my mind and I figured I might still have the best hand.

Turn: (t2200) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villian 1 checks.

* on the turn he checks behind me which makes me think maybe I did bust him with his hand in the cookie jar trying to steal

River: (t2200) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1400</font>, Villian 1 calls t1400.

Final Pot: t5000

On the river I decided to make a bet (I guess this is referred to as a blocking bet) that's what I was hoping for, that they couldn't call because I figured it was the only way I win the pot.

Was this overthinking or just didn't work against my opponent?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:12 AM

Default Re: K-Qs calling Ace high flop

In all honesty, with an M of 13 this kind of move is just silly IMHO. This is not the time to get fancy. Very easy check/fold on flop.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:18 AM

M of 13?

the limp really baffled me, this is the point in the tournament where it's all in or fold for short stacks the blinds are fairly precious I would of figured he wouldn't be wasting them on A-rag...

I see your point about getting fancy, but if you look at it from his standpoint, what the heck was he doing in this hand?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:20 AM

I'm going to make a suggestion here...stop playing for about 2 days and read HOH 1 &amp; 2.

Check/fold flop = standard
Old 07-07-2006, 03:02 AM

Smokey, you are right I need to do ALOT of reading, I've always been lazy about that. I've read like 1/2 of HOH 1, but a reread is in order...

however I'm going to keep playing because I'm playing for $11 and $22 tournaments I don't care about that, I make good money, I mostly want to get my feel back. In February I made the final table of two $55 tourneys on Pstars. Back than I could fold JJ preflop and it was right to do so (I only that because some other guy called with 88 and saw QQ)

My feel is off for the game and I need to get that back, only one way, by playing.

I am going to take your advice though and stop for tonight and read
Old 07-07-2006, 03:39 AM

M = your stack/ BB + SB + antes. It's essentially a measure of how many orbits you can survive before being blinded out. You need to read HoH 2 to get a grip of this concept. It's VERY important and teaches you how to change gears when your M reach different levels.

Enough of that. Why don't you just raise and punish his pathetic limp? He'll probably fold if you make it 800. The way you played it, you must fold when he bets the flop. Don't try to overthink this situation.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:49 AM

Rocco, point taken, agreed
Old 07-07-2006, 04:10 AM

You think you're good because you folded jacks preflop once? And you don't need to brag about two final tables you made, nobody is impressed and nobody cares. It means nothing. As far as the hand goes, I agree with everyone else. I think if you're going to be as successful as you can be, you need to reevaluate the way you think about and measure poker success, as well as intensively study more poker literature.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:33 AM

Maybe you misinterrepted what I said...

I was a better player 3 months ago in March. To illustrate someone who is 5-4 is not tall, but they are taller than someone who is only 5-1.

If I put $55 into a tournament tonight I would expect to lose, I would need a lot of "help" to even have a chance. Because my feel for the game is gone. Over the last month I've been getting some of it back. That's all I was saying to Smokey is that I gotta read, ABSOLUTELY, but also play to get the feel back.

Folding JJ preflop maybe no big deal to you, but if the other guy calls with 88 and the first guy shows QQ, doesn't mean that my "feel" for the game exactly sucked back than did it? Maybe it's mere coincidence, but I also made 2 final tables that month, and maybe that doesn't mean much either, but back than I had a little gusto, and I'm just trying to recapture that. I think you have to have it to be a winning player
Old 07-07-2006, 06:31 AM

raise preflop here if you think is limping and you think you are ahead.
Otherwise is a check fold at the flop.