Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Letter to my parents (LONG)

I don't think the replies were really all that harsh. There was a lot of constructive criticism, but isn't that why you'd post such a letter on a message board before delivering it your parents anyway?

Maybe there were a couple cheap shots in there, I don't know. But telling somebody that a letter he is going to deliver to his parents is going to do more harm than good is not being mean, it's just being honest.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 PM

Here is what my letter would read as:

Dear Mom and Dad,

You are so smart I am glad you know what's best for me. I will not play poker anymore and instead I have taken a job at a day trading firm. This job is awesome. It involves participating in the "market" and analyzing data and trends of other "market participants". Depending on what market I am trading (there are many options), I can get cool stuff such as monthly bonuses and even cool electronics!!!

So thank you for showing me the light. Poker was such a waste of time.

Love,

Your Child
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 PM

These replies were cream puffs compared to the warzone that is OOT. FWIW, most people in this thread nailed the issues with your letter, bruin.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 PM

Gay.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:26 AM

do you really say ass to your parents that much?
Old 07-07-2006, 02:02 AM

Poker is sweeping the nation and the world. It is the hottest thing on college campuses. It is easier to play poker then it is to buy cigarettes or a can of beer on campuses all over the country. We have spoken to college students who play poker day and night. They even play during class. According to a Harvard study a few years ago, 4.67% of young people have a gambling problem. Experts tell us that the earlier a person starts to gamble, the greater the risk of them becoming a compulsive gambler. In another survey, 96% of adult male recovering gamblers’ stated that they started gambling before the age of 14. With this poker explosion, The average age of people seeking help for a gambling problem is getting much younger every day..

Your parents have reason to be concerned.
They are trying to look out for your future.

As long as you are living under their roof(and possibly accepting their help to get through college) you have an obligation to your parents. I suggest you take poker slowly and give in a little. Get out and enjoy your youth. And when you do play poker - DON'T TELL YOUR MOM ABOUT IT. Keep it to yourself and friends.

One of my father's favorite sayings when I was young...
"don't tell your mother."
Old 07-07-2006, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just read the first like 5 replies and they were all negative.

what is wrong with you guys???

EDIT: Jesus christ, I just read the rest of the replies and I'm just speechless. I have been coming to these forums less and less lately, and this thread really makes me want to stop coming completely.

STOP THE NEGATIVITY YOU F8CKING LOSERS, YOU THINK PUTTING PEOPLE DOWN MAKES YOU A BETTER PERSON? GO F8CK YOURSELFS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I had a worse response to you that I wrote and I deleted it. Why?

It doesn't teach you anything. The reasons that many of us had with the letter were clearly and rationally stated. We were blunt and had to be to let the OP know that sending that letter to his parents would harm him in the long run. Sometimes young people think that they are invincible, and I certainly thought that when I was younger, but my parents set me straight and we had (still have) a fine relationship.

Point is, the OP and his parents have a discussion that is not even remotely related to poker but what poker has done with the relationship - however I don't know him or his parents - all I have is what he wrote.

As I said in my opening paragraph to him, if he were my son, we would have dealt with this conversation already, but if he still handed me that letter, I would still tell him exactly the same things I wrote.

I guess our replies, and many were more welll written than mine, hit too close to home for you so you lash out. That's okay...but understand that using the same tactics that you complain about will not influence others to change.

For me...my coffee kicked in and it's a beautiful, albeit hot, morning in the valley.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:17 AM

I never understand why parents and poker is such a big deal. Just tell them you play poker. If they don't like the idea of it, don't bring it up again. What's so hard?
Old 07-07-2006, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never understand why parents and poker is such a big deal. Just tell them you play poker. If they don't like the idea of it, don't bring it up again. What's so hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am amazed at your ability to simplify this situation.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:46 PM

Thats a nice letter but I would change it to this:

Dear Mom and Dad,
Thanks for feeding me and taking care of me all this years, but it has recently come to my attention that you may be "retarded nancy church people". If you cant allow me to play some game that I enjoy because of some irrational reason then I am afraid that you may be a douche. Please [censored] off immediately. Do not ever talk to me again.

P.S. me and my girlfriend have been having sex in your bed.