Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Top 2 deep vs LAG

[ QUOTE ]
grim,

I thought about pushing, calling and leading, calling and check/calling. But if I push/raise what hands will call that I beat? AQ? He's lag but I donnu if he's stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

a push isnt that much of an overbet, pot is around 2k and your push would be for another 2.8k or so. i just dont think any of the other options is very compelling. the way im looking at his hand range is:
- hands that have you beat, you probably end up losing a bunch to these no matter what you do. while his river bet may well be less than allin if you call the turn taking a more cautious line doesnt save you all that much.
- pure bluffs, i dont think these are all that likely, a turn call certainly makes sense here but i just dont think this makes up enough of his range.
- second best made hand, i would think you have a good chance of getting called by a worse 2 pair and that the best way to get his money is to push. if he has something like AQ i dont know if he will call but when you factor in all the river scare cards i dont think you increase your ability to get his money by calling the turn.
- pair + draw, i think these probably make up a lot of his hand range and calling the turn vs them kind of stinks. who knows if he will make a silly call or not but i think the alternative is quite likely to be him seeing the river and not putting in any money unless he beats you.

basically when your losing i think your just gonna end up losing most of your money no matter what you do and playing the turn passively just minimizes what you win when your best and gives him a free shot with hands that arent putting in more money.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Top 2 deep vs LAG

lot of ways to play this: I think reraising right now is very reasonable. if he hasn't been raising much, then you might have to fold to a reraise. alternatively, calling and check-calling any river (except possibly - and I stress possibly - an eight or two) is a way to guarantee showdown.