Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 01:00 PM

Default Re: 10/20 - 99 Multiway

In this spot I'm betting with the intention of not putting any more money into the pot. If you bet the limper may call you on the turn with something as weak as K high, and the SB might fold a bigger pocket pair. It is a rare player who will check/raise you with a hand you beat here, so you can safely fold.

I think my action would be the same if it was h/u. If the SBs 3betting range was wide then I'd probably try to induce a bluff, but if he's the sort of player who is unlikely to 3bet preflop with hands like KQ or 77 then I would play it the same as if it were 3way.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:49 PM

Seems like a standard bet and fold to a check-raise situation to me. If you happen to be currently ahead any of a King, Queen, Jack, Ten or the case Ace falling would be bad for you (some obviously worse than others) given that you are up against 2 players (one of whom 3-bet PF), so you don't want to give a free card. Also, a free card cannot ever help you as if you are behind you are drawing dead. Since you can so easily fold if C/R'd this seems like an easy decision.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:48 PM

Everyone,

Thank you for the responses. I found this hand to be extremely interesting and I hope that you did as well.

I did not play the actual hand, a friend of mine did, but we discussed it and I wanted some extra insight (it was easier to write it in the first person, forgive my indiscretion).

In the actual hand, hero checked the turn and the river was a Ten. SB bet out, MP folded and hero puked a little before calling.

I agree with everyone that hero should bet out on the turn for all of the reasons given in this thread. I also think that checking behind on the turn and then calling on the river don't really work together well. If we are checking on the turn then presumably that is because we believe we are beat. If we believe we are beat on the turn what makes us think that we have now induced a bluff on the river (he's got to bluff into two of us) often enough for us to be profitable in our call? On the river we are getting 7-1 so we need to be right 12.5% of the time. We checked the turn because we thought we were beat so I think it's a stretch to beleive we are now ahead 12.5% of the time.

I think checking the turn and calling on the river is weak scared showdown poker (sorry). I'm interesting in hearing what others think about this line.

Results: SB has ATo.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:07 PM

I think most people are right when they say bet/fold the turn. However they forget the possibility that sb may check-call the turn and lead the river as to not miss a value bet and then hero might be forced to call.

I check this turn and possibly/probably fold the river.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think most people are right when they say bet/fold the turn. However they forget the possibility that sb may check-call the turn and lead the river as to not miss a value bet and then hero might be forced to call.

I check this turn and possibly/probably fold the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

So... most people that say this is a bet fold on the turn are right... but you wouldn't do that, and instead would check behind? That doesn't really jive.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we are checking on the turn then presumably that is because we believe we are beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not entirely. I think I would have checked the turn in this pot but I'm not saying it's for sure the best play. However, I would not check presuming that I was beat. I would check presuming that there was a small chance someone would bluff the river which I may have induced with a check on the turn (normally unlikely especially if the river bet comes from the 3 betting small blind but I would call it nevertheless). This presumption would be made vis a vis the other small chance that if I bet and get called on the turn, a better hand may lead the river or the other small chance that the river is bet and then raised. I think both options are separated by a small amount of EV but reading through the thread, I actually like bet the turn, fold to raise better than checking, especially because of the guy between hero and sb. My point of this post, however, is that checking in this and other similar hands (decisions like this come up a lot) should not be done simply because you think you're beat. You'll wind up folding too much on the river if you do IMO.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:26 PM

I'd bet and fold to a c/r since the pot is partly protected by the limper