Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Most valuable notes?

[ QUOTE ]
jam,

what combination of those are you [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

my notes on myself would look something like [censored] aggro monkey bluffer retard station degenerate gambler.

Station - calling station
monkey - leads into pfr'er with air
Old 06-26-2006, 02:52 PM

"minbets/calls any w/ draws" is a favorite
Old 06-26-2006, 03:00 PM

Doesnt that show from his stats?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:41 PM

I've really picked up my note-taking since I converted to NL; it's so good for your game because it forces you to think and opens your eyes to possible thought processes that your opponents might be utilizing(re: tptk is worth my stack, gutshots are worth chasing, etc..). Hell, half the time now, I'll be 20mins into a session before I realize that I didnt start up PAHUD.

I'll basically note the hand in question as concisely as possible. An example might be "l/c's pf ep vs tag with XX, c/c,c/c, c/f on xxxxx board" or "defends blind pf, hu to the flop he donk/folds xxx board."

Generally speaking, I'm noting anything that I wouldnt do or anything to look out for. Fwiw, I do note guys that cant let go of tp/tk; it helps when I flop bottom two. I'll just list some common stuff below...

-floats me
-loose postflop calls
-loose pf calls
-bet strength correlates hand strength
-tp/tk is (the) nuts(usually use this one on a scary board if villain shows down an obviously beaten hand)
-donk/fold flop
-will get AI pf with...<insert incredibly weak hand here>
-bet scare cards IP
-call psbs (hu?) on draw, then go for a c/r when hits
-will c/r cbets
-minraise <insert street here> with <insert holding here>
-gets AI on flop with...
Old 06-26-2006, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt that show from his stats?

[/ QUOTE ]

errrrm, ok you caught me. I don't do stats.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 PM

I am not very consistent with note taking. Things that I do note include what a particular size bet means, if they reraise or smooth call big hands, what types of hands they call raises with, and whether or not they like to chase/overvalue marginal holdings. One thing I have stopped doing is taking notes on the donks, it seems rather pointless. IMO you will very rarely see the same donk twice(I don't play on Party) let alone on multiple occassions which is where good notes really help I think, that and if they're really bad you're gonna get their money either way. I have started making notes on the regulars more often, these notes are both more reliable(since I see alot more hands from the regular) and more useful. JMO

P.S. I also like to note if they can be tilted by chat.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:17 PM

Default My new favorite note

"small bets mean big hands and all-in bets are bluffs"

And then after stacking the fool 3 times in 10 minutes I added...

"does not learn from his mistakes" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 04:29 PM

Default Re: My new favorite note

Great thread as I've often wondered the same thing about others note taking practices. I picked the following up from another poster in the shorthanded limit forum:

PFFT - Peels Flop Folds Turn

This is probably more applicable in limit but it is still a pretty nice acronym to quickly identify those that require a second barrel on the Turn.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:32 PM

One of my favourites is to note who slow plays their made hands/set etc.

BBV-esque HH included to illustrate. Against an unknown I'm worried. Against this guy I do the happy dance.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($52.60)
SB ($25.45)
BB ($58.40)
UTG ($50.30)
MP ($9.50)
CO ($73.20)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $2.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, BB calls $5.50.

Turn: ($20.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $24</font>, BB calls $16.

River: ($68.25) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $24.4 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $18.60 (All-In).

Final Pot: $111.25
Old 06-26-2006, 04:33 PM

I'm just starting out in hold'em, so I haven't got a system for notes worked out yet. I do take a lot of notes, however: by the time I leave a table, in general everyone will have some tiny note. I just looked through my notes and these are some of the really donkish and so most useful ones:

Can get aggressive with air (maniac)
At 5NL, there's a few people willing to lead-lead-lead with nothing. If that's shown down, I know to be passive if I hit the flop, and let him do the betting until the river, where I'll check-raise or lead.

Unaware of draws
I have two notes that say "Mr. Top Pair are the nuts on a flush board" and "Whoa ignorant of 4 straight on the board". Let them get the money in, reraise liberally.

Aware of draws
They see when a straight or flush draw arrives, and get scared. Bluff when a scare card hits.

Good
Very simple, and also rare at 5NL. Either means I can't read their range well, or they read me right earlier. I try not to get tangled up in pots with them, which saves me a lot of BBs, I think.

Then there's a few notes regarding push behavior which only pertain to SnGs.