Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 11:21 PM

Default Re: oil changes

Actually the truth is that some new cars need neither oil change or any form of service for at least the first three years, however according to somebody who had spoken to high-level management at a car producer, they don't think the public will believe it yet and it thus it will be perceived as incorrect marketing and thus backfire. They also have an income source from authorised service etc. which they don't want to lose yet (although they realize that in 10 years time the amount of service actually conducted will have dropped dramatically).
Old 06-20-2006, 11:48 PM

This is clearly a brag post so I don't know why i'm responding.
I usualy stretch my oil changes longer then I should but I wouldn't go any longer then 5,000. I usualy change my own oil, and you can see a very big difference in the oil between 3,000 and 5,000.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:53 PM

I get ~10k miles(temperature and driving style dependent) with my 06 Canyon before the change oil indicator comes on(the computer decides when), and its (shudder) american and not synthetic oil.

check the owners manual

edit, my owners manual does say to change the oil at 12 months if the indicator has not yet come on.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:15 AM

After the break in period , (first 4~5k) do the changes every 3. Why be lazy and cheap about it?
It will only help not hurt your car, just make sure you use synthetic everytime all the time.

Also to the comment of synthetic being far greater then regular oil, thats engine and car dependant
Old 06-21-2006, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually the truth is that some new cars need neither oil change or any form of service for at least the first three years, however according to somebody who had spoken to high-level management at a car producer, they don't think the public will believe it yet and it thus it will be perceived as incorrect marketing and thus backfire. They also have an income source from authorised service etc. which they don't want to lose yet (although they realize that in 10 years time the amount of service actually conducted will have dropped dramatically).

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to work in the automotive industry, and I can say this is pretty much correct. Check the standard maintenance schedule for most new cars, and you will find there is little to be done in the first 30,000 miles. Remember, these are the schedules put out by the manufacturer... who usually has at least a 3 year warranty on the vehicle. Warranty repairs are very expensive. Who pays the labor? The garage? Nope, they bill the manufacturer. Enough things go wrong anyway that they aren't going to push the margins on these schedules.

100,000 miles without any major service is very doable: the Cadillac Northstar engine for example. The manufacturer can't go much longer than that anyway because the government requires an airbag check around that point.

Oil changes are an emotional issue for people for some reason (not saying anyone in this thread) and there are marketing interests who want you to believe "3000 miles". So I'll just say these factors have a big influence and leave it at that.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The dealership told me i only nead 1 oil change per year on this car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be surprised if this is the case.

[/ QUOTE ]

the on dash computer recommends once every 15k miles.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't the BMW warranty include oil changes? I'm looking at getting one myself but this might be different with leases.

[/ QUOTE ]

i bought mine and yes, they are included. along with wipers and all other fluids.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I used to work in the automotive industry, and I can say this is pretty much correct. Check the standard maintenance schedule for most new cars, and you will find there is little to be done in the first 30,000 miles. Remember, these are the schedules put out by the manufacturer... who usually has at least a 3 year warranty on the vehicle. Warranty repairs are very expensive. Who pays the labor? The garage? Nope, they bill the manufacturer. Enough things go wrong anyway that they aren't going to push the margins on these schedules.

100,000 miles without any major service is very doable: the Cadillac Northstar engine for example. The manufacturer can't go much longer than that anyway because the government requires an airbag check around that point.

Oil changes are an emotional issue for people for some reason (not saying anyone in this thread) and there are marketing interests who want you to believe "3000 miles". So I'll just say these factors have a big influence and leave it at that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your post exactly, but it came across as if you can go 30,000 miles without an oil change and i'm going to call bs on that. If this wasn't what you were trying to say i'm sorry I didn't read correctly, but going long periods of time without an oil change is just asking for your engine to freeze up.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:36 AM

I was told by my BMW service associate to, "follow the lights".
Old 06-21-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
they don't think the public will believe it yet and it thus it will be perceived as incorrect marketing and thus backfire.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure what you're trying to say in your post exactly, but it came across as if you can go 30,000 miles without an oil change and i'm going to call bs on that.

[/ QUOTE ]