Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 PM

Default oil changes

I have a 2006 Bmw 325I. The dealership told me i only nead 1 oil change per year on this car. I have always been told that oil should be changed every 3000ish miles. Is it goign to cause the car a lot of future damage if i wait for 10k plus miles between oil changes.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Re: oil changes

[ QUOTE ]
The dealership told me i only nead 1 oil change per year on this car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would be surprised if this is the case.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 2006 Bmw 325I. The dealership told me i only nead 1 oil change per year on this car. I have always been told that oil should be changed every 3000ish miles. Is it goign to cause the car a lot of future damage if i wait for 10k plus miles between oil changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I understand it, some newer cars have improved technology that allows for less frequent oil changes with no impact on the overall health of the engine. I also heard this from a BMW salesman, so it's not like the guy is automatically a genius. He could have been making it up, but I guess this post makes me think it's either a) a company line or b) true. I still get frequent oil changes (3-5k miles range) though because they're so cheap and I don't think it hurts the car.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:48 PM

I've never owned a BMW, but alot of higher-end foreign cars have better engines and run on synthetic oil. You can probably wait a year. The dealer is also going to tell you that they need to be the one to do it. I don't know if a basic oil/lube shop can get the job done, but you can't put 10W-30 in there and only do it once a year without some engine damage.

BTW, I'm not a mechanic, so take all of the above with caution.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:53 PM

Brag
Old 06-20-2006, 10:53 PM

Btw a couple things i forgot to mention. First of all this car is a lease so i would assume its in the dealerships best interest to keep car in good shape. Also I called the other day to schedule an oil change at the dealership and they asked me how many miles i had on the car(7500)and Then told me that I should wait till 15k miles or a year. Its been about 7 months since i got it
Old 06-20-2006, 10:58 PM

Your dealer is correct. Synthetic oil >>>>> regular oil. Although 15k miles is pushing it, 10k should is fine.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:06 PM

Doesn't the BMW warranty include oil changes? I'm looking at getting one myself but this might be different with leases.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:07 PM

Look in the owner's manual to confirm. Warranty costs are a big concern for the manufacturers, so the maintenance schedules are designed to be conservative. If the manual says you can go a year, you can go a year.

And yes, its rather likely you can. Very few cars really need oil changes at 3000 mile intervals anyway. I believe BMW is factory filling with a 15000 mile synthetic.

HOWEVER, checking the oil level at regular intervals is important, because acceptible oil consumption levels are higher than most people think.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

HOWEVER, checking the oil level at regular intervals is important, because acceptible oil consumption levels are higher than most people think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been researching, and it appears you are correct. Particularly regarding cunsumption.